Bouncy ball instead of chair?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Annie227, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Apr 26, 2008

I've heard in the past about an OT accommodation of some type of bouncy ball instead of a chair for some students. I'm curious as to what type of ball this is and where to find it.

Thanks!

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 26, 2008

I have many students who has an exercise ball instead of a chair. They have a specific set of rules and if they don't follow them they have to get a chair instead.

1. bottom doesn't leave the ball
    2. ball stays under desk when not in use
    3. no pencils, scissors, or sharp objects near the ball

I'm not sure of the others, but they work.

It's not an accomodation as much as a preference for my students.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2008

I used one in my last class. I loved it. It was a bouncy ball in a frame with a back rest. When I just used an exercise ball, I had tired student fall over and I thought that for my "peace of mind" and to take away the chance of being sued, that the frame would be a better idea. It was expensive though. I can't remember the name of the magazine that it was in -- Adaptations possibly?

5. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Apr 27, 2008

I used a bouncy ball in a chair frame for one student and it was fantastic. She was able to wiggle and bounce to her heart's content, getting sensory input without having to tip (or jump up from) her chair. She was much better able to focus and stayed at her workspace more.

I'm sorry, I don't know where it came from (I found it in a closet under the stairs ... that probably won't work for you ...) but I imagine it could be ordered.

6. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 27, 2008

You can get them from Adaptations for sure, I think Sammons Preston Rolyan has some also; Abilitations may have them. They all have websites. . . And it's basically the same as your basic exercise ball, so you can find them places that are more geared toward sport/exercise, also.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2008

Marshalls or Ross or TJ MAXX. They all have "exercise balls" in their "random" section and they are mostly under $20.

The therapy balls from the big shot special needs websites are always totally overpriced!

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 4, 2008

I have two of these ball for chairs. One for home at my computer and one at school for guided reading.

Make sure you get permission from Admin. to use them in your classroom. Some schools do not allow kids to use them. Also, get "anti-burst" chairs!

Kelly :)

9. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

May 7, 2008

I don't use bouncy balls in my room; my OT has given me squishy booster-type seat cushions with small bumps on them. We also have "T-stools" which do require some level of balance, but are really great for those AD/HD kids. The other seat arrangement is simply turning their chair around so that the back is now the front. Just something different.
    I would like to try those bouncy, squishy balls but I'm kind of nervous that my kids would be distracted by them and try to use them for dodgeball or something!:eek:hmy:

10. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

May 9, 2008

I also use those cushions with bumps - are they wedge-shaped? They work really well for my kids and are small and portable.

Also, I have air-filled disk shaped cushions that I use with my kids for floor sitting.