Bought used books from Amazon?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lovemyjob, Jun 29, 2009.

1. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Quick question...looking to build my library for my classroom. Some books on amazon are listed for .39 used but then they list who they ship from. I was wondering if anyone bought used books before on this site? Does your credit card info only go to amazon or to who the book is actually coming from? Just curious. I started adding books to my cart then realized each one was being shipped from different individuals. Just not familiar of how it works:confused:
    Any feedback would be aprreciated.

3. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Jun 29, 2009

Amazon.com is a great place to order used books from (I've ordered many and most look brand-new).

Your creditcard information does not go to the individual; it goes to the business "paypal." It serves as an intermediary between seller and buyer to do business (so your information is safe).

Just remember that for each book you buy, you're paying a minimum of 3.99 shipping and handling. So in essense, you'll be paying around 5 bucks a book with the .50+ listing.

Hope that helps!

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I order from them often. Please note that it is 3.99 shipping per book. Be careful you aren't buying a flimsy, used scholastic book for .39 and then paying 4.00 shipping. I did that last year, I filled up my basket and spent maybe 40.00 on 80 books. My shipping was over $300.00 I didn't go through with it.

I got some wonderful teacher books from there. I ordered a Debbie Miller book called Reading with Meaning (i think) and it said it was in good condition. I got it and I don't think the owner ever opened it. I paid 3.00 plus the shipping. I paid 99 cents for a writer's workshop one last year and it was in great condition too.

When I checked out it was just like I was buying from Amazon. The seller doesn't see the cc info.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

Great minds think alike:)

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I have tried ordering used books from Amazon and have not had much luck. The books that I tried to order never arrived. I finally just cancelled the orders because it was taking a ridiculously long time. (I needed the text books for a class, and the semester was rapidly coming to an end). I didn't have any problems with information given out.

Ordering new from amazon is better, because you can see if the books are in stock. I've never had a problem ordering new books.

7. shortee

shortee Companion

Jun 29, 2009

It's a great way to get books. I've been getting used classroom books and resource books for myself through Amazon for years now. Also stories on tape.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I love ordering used books from Amazon. Because of the shipping cost as mentioned, I usually limited my search to books less than .50 cents. I have gotten really great books for .01 cent plus the 3.95 shipping cost and I have never been disappointed in the condition of the book. History books are usually very discounted as I think there isn't a high demand for the genre of books :)

And as everyone else has stated, no one but Amazon gets your credit info. Amazon acutally had a really good FAQ on ordering used books at one time - not sure if it is still there but worth checking.

9. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 29, 2009

In addition to no information going to the seller of used merchandise, you might see some vendors who are listed with "fulfillment by amazon" which means that the independent seller doesn't even see your name/address. My sister works at a fulfillment center so I have asked her millions of questions about the marketplace sales. You can get some wonderful deals, but make sure what you are buying is worth the extra charge for shipping. I have found cds and dvds to be much better values since you can pay the $4. for shipping and still save money.

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

I buy everything on amazon. However, like others mentioned, you have to check out those shipping charges- I love straight from amazon with free super shipping or whatever it is called. That is awesome. I buy my college textbooks there too, never had a problem with amazon or the sellers, just my post office, but that is another story. My Christmas and birthday wish list was all sorts of used teacher resource books from amazon. I love them- def the best deals!

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

I only use Amazon when I am looking for a particular book. If buying books to build a class library I suggest yard sales or half-Price books, not Amazon.

I just $4 for shipping is too much for one book - of course unless I am on the hunt for a certain book.

And I just hate EBay. I use it a little, but not much. If your not careful you will get ripped off there.

12. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I love buying used books on Amazon. My next grad class requires 2 paperback books and I got both of them together (one was $.01 and the other was around $1) for a little less than $10 including shipping. The bookstore would have charged me around $50 for used copies!!

I've also sold used books on Amazon. It's really great and super easy. :D

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

I have Amazon Prime - totally worth it for the number of books I buy, and I have free 2-day shipping whether even if I buy just one book. It's about $79 a year.

I also buy used books - I often save a lot by buying an older edition of something like a composition text. I always compare the cost of a used book plus shipping with a new one with free shipping from Amazon, and if the difference is only a dollar or two, I usually get the brand new copy.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

My husband gets lots of coupons for Amazon.com, so we buy lots of books from them. I have never been disappointed.

15. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

I use Amazon a lot - no complaints here. I've bought my textbooks thru' Amazon. But yes, watch out for shipping. I wanted to buy books for my Sunday school classes. I could buy books for only a couple of dollars, but the shipping was more than the books. So, while I would buy one or two books at a time, I won't buy a lot at once.

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 29, 2009

I order and sell lots from Amazon & Half.com. The really cheap ones are usually from big distributors. The ones that are more are usually individuals. I order often and am usually happy. Amazon sells some directly through their people & you can get free shipping as long as you spend $25. It often works out that they'll have the lowest price since shipping is free. If you have an issue you can always file a claim & you will get your money back. I've been on the end of refunds as a seller & buyer through Amazon. :D

17. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

I should clarify: I don't buy from Amazon directly. I buy from the independant vendors, which is why shipping is so much. I should look into Amazon Prime.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

I have not had good luck with them, but I guess I am the minority. Personally, I would think you would be better off going to your local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc), yard sales, Craigslist, or even post an ad on your local Freecycle. Good luck!

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

loves2teach - I agree with you. I think Amazon is good if I need a particular book. But for gathering a classroom library the other ways you mentioned are much better.

20. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

I used Amazon and like others have said you have to watch the shipping and it can add up fast regardless of the price you pay for the books.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

Luv, luv, luv Amazon.com!!! I never pay for shipping/handling as I usually choose new books that qualify for the free super saver shipping (an order of $25 or more).

That being said...I have never ordered used books. I usually find what I'm looking for at thrift shops, yard sales and library book sales.

22. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Thank you everyone!!! I knew this was "the" place to ask advice:hugs: You guys are the best!!!

23. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

yeah, but you have to pay $70-$80 to get the free shipping, right?

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

Me?
    I use the free super saver shipping which means that I must order $25 + in books, CDs, DVDs, etc.. (which is oh so easy!). When I first logged onto amazon.com years ago, I was offered the free super saver shipping which still holds true today. I have an Amazon credit card which I believe is the reason for the savings.

25. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Library book sales are a great way to get books for the classroom. Also on Amazon if you spend at least $25 on books you qualify for free shipping.

26. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I'm not admitting how much I spend at Amazon (let alone on books in general--I recently purchased several hundred just to get 5 or 6 I wanted!), but I have to say Amazon is not the way to get general books for a classroom library. That $3.99 shipping is a killer.

Several times I've purchased quantities of books on eBay, including one memorable deal when I got almost 1K of K-2nd grade books for $49.99! The key is to configure your search correctly, including parameters on age, condition, etc, then under "Buying Format" click "choose more" then select "Listed as lots." If the search parameters work for you, don't forget to save the search. Right now for example, there is a lot of 142 books for ages 4-8, with the bid sitting at $41 and shipping.

Another option is to contact a local second-hand book store and explain what you need and why. Many stores will help you out gathering books and cut you a deal on price. Individuals who deal in second-hand/collectors books will often do the same.

27. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 30, 2009

You only have to spend $25 & it must say Amazon free shipping eligible. When you look at the cost always sort by item plus shipping to see your best deal. There's a little picture by the wording. What I do is put stuff in my cart or saved lists. Then when I have $25 of Amazon eligible stuff I place an order. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper, sometimes it's just a bit more but worth the free shipping you get on other items. Shipping for most books on Amazon is 3.99.

Also even with 3.99 shipping it is a better deal than Borders or Barnes & Noble. I also have the Amazon credit card through Chase where I earn 3 X points for every purchase & then get a$25 reward card.
    :D