Bottom of the barrel applicant? what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MisterG, Aug 4, 2007.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Hi all,
    I went with my wife to the HR office of the district she got hired onto, today. While I was there, I asked about subbing jobs and the gal asked if I had a certificate, I told her I had one plus i had a teaching degree. She immediately asked if I would be interested in a K position. I told her no as I didn't feel qualified for that. Then she asked if Id like fifth grade. I told her Id be seriously interested in it. She told me to get my app stuff to her right away. Im thinking about it heavily...last year was rough...not sure if I want to go through that again.

Either way, she mentioned that it would only be a one year contract. I asked why and she said it was because it was so late in the summer. That didn't make sense to me so I asked for further explanation. From what it sounds like...all the 'good' teachers are picked up first and if you are still applying at the end of the summer, that means nobody else has picked you up yet. That was pretty much what I heard.

Is this true? lol...I never thought about it this way. I don't mind...just felt a little offended as I haven't really put out that many applications this summer anyways...I don't think Im a bad teacher, lol.

Ryan

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

Their reasoning makes a little bit of sense, I guess, but it's still pretty weird. Don't take it the wrong way. Just look at it as a door that has opened up for you! If you need the job, it wouldn't hurt to drop off your resume stuff.

Good luck!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I will be signing my contract next week and school starts on the 27th, so it's pretty late in the game. I guess I'm not one of the really good candidates who got picked up first,:rolleyes: but my position is not only for one year.

I find that reasoning very offensive and I'm not sure I'd want to work somewhere that has that mind-set. Although, a job is a job.

5. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Mine was only for one year last year because by the time the job came open and they hired someone the contract year had already started. They couldn't give me a permanent position even if they had wanted to because it violates policy. Anyways, if I had wanted to keep my job I would have had to reapply for it. They were really dissappointed when I decided not to reapply. It was a perfect out for me. A full year of teaching on my resume, and the opportunity to go somewhere else guilt free. Unfortunately the first person you meet in a district doesn't always make a good first impression. Apply and interview. You'll get a feel for if you're wanted/needed or not, and can make your decision based on that. Good luck!

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

That doesn't make any sense to me, plus I don't think that has any truth to it. What makes sense to me: many positions come from different sources of funding (ie grant money, Title I), which maybe only a year position....or that maybe the number population of students increased from what they thought so they needed another teacher for the year. That's just my :2cents: But, for the record-try fifth grade, I think you will like it...I do! :up:

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

All non-tenured positions in my district are one year anyway...

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I think most places are like that, but in most cases the teachers are given the opportunity to renew their contracts at the end of the year. When I hear "one year position" I think of a position where the person will not be given the option of signing another contract for the following school year (for whatever reason).

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I'm not sure she knows what she is talking about. It probably has more to do with the teachers union or contract length. In my school if a position opens up now it is a one year, but not because of the quality of the teacher. That sounds silly.

11. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

In my area you have a 1 yr contract every year. After the 3rd yr if you are rehired you are tenured but you still must sign a contract. I was hired 6 weeks into the yr in 2000 due to a large enrollment in K. I was told that it was for one year but they would keep me if they had the numbers/budget. Don't think of it as a negative thing.

12. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

My thing is...how would I put that on a resume for experience? I don't want it to sound fuzzy or like I was let go or fired or not-renewed.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2007

Just blow there socks off and hope they give you a contract for next year.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

Just say that it was a one-year position. Most administrators would understand. And it's always possible that it could turn into a longer position down the road when things like funding fall into place.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2007

Just put one year position at xyz school. I did this that and the other.
    I am a LTS for a whole school year. Another teacher took a one year leave of absence.

16. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I wouldn't stress that far ahead of the game. Take first things first. If you apply and are hired, you have a year of experience to work on. Do a bang up job, then worry (come spring) about being renewed or whatever. Experience is experience. Period. If you are not asked back, chances are it will not be your fault (assuming you do a good job, and I know you will!), and that is easily explainable. You just say that you really enjoyed your time at xxx school but, due to circumstances beyond your control, you were not renewed. Then, play up your strong points and the position itself.

Concentrate on getting the job first, if that's what you want.

Also, if you're applying late in the game, how does that indicate whether your "good" or not??? What about the person who suddenly moves in from out of state or something who is very well-qualified but wasn't able to start a job search right at the beginning of spring/summer or whatever? I think the explanation she gave you was a cop out.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

I think that "bottom of the barrel" is one of many possible scenarios.

- "I just moved" is another.

-"I got an incredible offer" is another.

- "My certification just came through" is another.

- "Have you SEEN the job market??" is another.

- "My home situation has changed and I now realize I need to teach" is another.

- "I got my degree in August" is another.

- "Something in my old job changed over the summer and it's no longer the right place for me" is another.

You get my drift.

18. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 4, 2007

When I applied I just put "end of 1-year temporary position" in the reason for leaving box. I didn't get any questions on it.

19. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I don't agree that all the "good" teaches already have jobs. In my area, there are so many teachers that apply for each job. There is a huge applicant pool. There are more teachers than there are jobs. Good luck!

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

I don't agree with that lady at all! Some positions just open up late...I was hired for both of my jobs in August...and although I don't think I'm the world's greatest teacher (although I have a bag that says it!) I'd like to think that I'm not at the bottom of the barrel...and neither are you!

Some secretaries should really just keep quiet:) lol

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2007

Hmm... we have last minute hires here for the fact of MORE KIDS registering and more teachers needed at the last minute! :)