Bossy Student

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by I<3Kinder, Sep 1, 2010.

1. I<3Kinder

I<3Kinder Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I need some advice... this is my third year teaching Kinder and in the past I have had some problems with girls not getting along later in the year but this year I have a VERY bossy student. She not only bosses her classmates around but myself and the playground supervisors. We are able to stop when it is directed at an adult but my concern is my other students. I only have 15 students but only 4 of those are girls. Three of those 4 have strong personalities and really aren't getting along. When I talked to the mother of the student she basically told me she knows she's bossy... thats just how she is (the mother is just as bad so I know where she gets it from)... Any advice on how I can get these girls to get along? I try to catch and stop things anytime I hear them but I know I'm not hearing everything. I'm at a total loss as to what I can do to stop it... I've tried time outs, talking to them about respect and offering rewards if they can get along but nothing is working!

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

I feel your pain, bossy girls eat my lunch every time, give me an unruly little boy any day but I'll pass on the bossy girls :) I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say. I did try reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle one year to my class, they came out with a shorter, picture book type version. I think there was a "Bossy Cure" in one of them. The kids loved it! You could read it to the class or maybe even send it home for mom to read...

4. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Sep 2, 2010

I had a girl like that a few years ago. I found if I stood over her at least once a day and informed her that I was the Queen and not her (not, of course, in those terms :p) she was fine the rest of the day. Alpha-types are usually willing to submit as long as they know that someone is in control who is worthy of their respect. This same girl actually ended up giving me more love-notes and hugs than anyone else!

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

I was just going to recommend that book hapley! I love reading about Mean Jean the recess queen:D