Boss's Day

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

Do any of you do anything for bosses day?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 14, 2005

We give our principal a really nice gift we think she can use, and a card signed by all of us.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 14, 2005

One thing my coworkers and I did was get our supervisor a gift certificate for a massage, facial and manicure. She was so excited when we gave it to her.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2005

We have a 'Sunshine Fund'. We pay $40 per year into it for occasions such as this plus hospitalizations, babies, marriages, etc. for gifts and cards. The administrators each got a gift certificate to a really nice nearby restaurant.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 14, 2005

We do the same thing. We call ours Cheer Fund, and we only put $15 in. If we need more, we can always ask later.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

czacza and Miss W, that is a great idea. I always feel at my school, although most "chip in"........I realize that I'm chipping in the most a lot of the time and we all sign the card as if we all contributed equally. Not trying to be petty, but still. When I put in 10.00, there are some who put in 1.00. I am generous and don't want to stop being that way, but it irritates me when others are not.......and then act as if they are!!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 14, 2005

Ours is mostly for birthdays, hospitalizations/sickness, and loss of family members. We do an extra special gift for babies and weddings.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

that is still a wonderful idea. Do you have a large staff so it is a pretty big fund? Does it build up every year, that if it isn't all used up, it carries over.......or do you start over again each year.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 14, 2005

We have 1 principal, 25 teachers, and 25 auxiliary/support staff. That's 51 people for 2nd and 3rd grade. We usually carry it over to the next year if we don't use it all. We'll probably leave it at the school we're at now next year. Our 2nd grade classrooms are moving to the new school with 1st grade classrooms from our K-1 school.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2005

When is it????

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 17, 2005

I think it's today, but I may be wrong. At least that's the day we were told by one of our other teachers.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2005

It was Saturday and when it falls on the weekend, you can give something on the day before(Friday) or on Monday, which by the way, I believe they recommended on the morning news. I gave a personal gift on Friday (we are friends) and then today at work everyone is giving a certificate to a favorite restaurant.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 17, 2005

We have a sunshine fund but our fee is 55 dollars which I think is a lot, but tomorrow we are having a breakfast for boss's day.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2005

Oh, that is a lot!! I agree, what does the fund cover?

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 17, 2005

covers birthdays, special occasions, baby showers, bridal showers and such.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 18, 2005

I also forgot to mention that ours covers the party we throw for the teacher of the year.

18. redcrayon

redcrayon New Member

Oct 19, 2005

Bosses' day and other gifts

We take turns all week bringing something in. Today, it's M. Callendar's pies. Yesterday, a platter of cookies.

As far as gifts all year, we found it's easier to form the "sunshine" club. Everyone puts in $20. per yr. Birthdays, everyone gets a bouquet of flowers (cost $5.00 as we made a "deal" with a local florist), a card, and a simple balloon on their door. Everyone gets the same thing. There is money left in the kitty for the unexpected; funerals and that sort of thing. For Christmas, we all participate in a potluck. If gifts are given, it's on an individual basis.

If people don't want to participate for the year in the Sunshine Club, they don't sign the community card. Period. :rolleyes:

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2005

We also have a social committee....the full time employees are asked to pay $40 and the part time employees and support staff are asked for $20. The money covers parties, breakfasts, birthday cards, gifts for illnesses, deaths in the family, baby showers, wedding showers, boss' day, secretary's day, nurses' day, and any other special occassion like when someone gets a new house. Our money also now goes to a water cooler since the district stopped paying for it...grrrr. lol

For bosses day, we wrapped up (or actually I wrapped up) a bag of our principal's favorite candy and a small frame for her desk, and we gave our vice principal a grandkids frame for his desk because his first grandchild was born last weekend:) He loved it, so that made me happy since I bought the frame...lol. :)

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2005

That's how it SHOULD be........why can't some people at my school see that, too?

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 20, 2005

Sorry this is so late, but I had to send my computer in for repairs and just got it back (got a new mother board for free because it was still under warranty!).
    Anyway, for Boss' Day all of our staff and many of the students wore dark pants, white shirts and a tie. It was really fun, and the kids looked adorable. Of course we got our boss a tie. He was surprised we could keep all of this a secret from him.