Bosses Day

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

Do any of you do anything for bosses day? It't Sunday.

3. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 13, 2005

no, but I'd love some ideas too!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

when is it?
    We usually buy a tie and get a gift certificate for our principal, but I have no idea when it is.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

Oct. 16...this weekend, so you can always do a gift on Monday.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

:eek: Thanks for the reminder......I bet no one at work has thought of it either!

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

Most of the people I work with, are not very generous or just don't give a dam, so I am giving a small gift on my own. So is another lady I work with. I found a fabulously scented pumpkin candle in this really cooooool old fashioned glass sugar jar for the woman boss and for her husband(also one of our bosses) I got a bag of gourmet 'fall' jellybeans and of course a nice card expressing my thanks. Last year I only sent them a card and they were very grateful to think that anyone remembered.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

I think it is important to remember as well. I know if the situation was reversed, it would mean a lot to me..
    Lucky the boss has you two! I am sure they both appreciate greatly!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

That's how it is at work right now. It's as though no one appreciates their job ... things are going downhill there and I am not sure if I can change things around or what to do. One problem is the dress code not being enforced. People are practically coming to work in their pajamas. It is embarrassing. Raggedy jeans at times, sweat suits that are so sloppy fitting, no make up(which is fine with me if you can get away with it) ... walking in with soaking wet hair from their morning shower. I've about had it.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2005

Ugh, I don't blame you for being down. Wish I had some words of wisdom, but I can't think of anything to say that would help! :sorry:

11. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 13, 2005

So, I have a question... I have an owner, and his wife that are my bosses. But there are also 3 "co-directors", do I get them each a little somethig too??

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

Cool, Bosses day? I'll go out and buy myself something..tee hee!!!

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

If I had that many bosses, I would give each a card. I am in a similar situation...husband/wife owners....but only one director. Cards can even be costly, but you can use any blank note cards that you might have and write a nice message and wish them a happy bosses day.

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2005

When I walked by the teachers' lounge, I noticed a handmade poster that said, "Happy Classified Employees Day" Uh Oh. Who am I supposed to recognize? Principal, Asst. Principal, teacher's aides...Eek Help. I know I am ok with the secretary- right? We have a day for that.

15. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Oct 14, 2005

Tasty Gifts

I didn't realize that it was bosses day... but now I think I will probably bake something as a gift. A basket of muffins or a loaf of homebaked bread would be a welcome gift, I think.
    One of my students gave me a loaf of cranberry bread for Christmas, it was the best "teacher-gift" I've ever gotten! It was delicious, I didn't have to find a place to store it, and I actually took it to share at a holiday dinner!

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

Now, I was discussing this in the other thread bosses day...lol, there are two on here! Anyhow, I donated moola for a gift certificate for our principal today........put in 10.00, I am usually always very generous for things like this and I like to be........and here is where I get kind of mad, trying not to be petty. But, we all sign the card.......as though we are equally contributing, and I know some only put in 1.00 or 2.00 dollars. Now come on, I just get mad when that happens............I like pooling our money so we can get something a little nicer, but I just think, why bother if you are only going to kick in for a "soda"........sheesh. And then to take credit for the gift, that doesn't even cover the card! Alright, I know that is a bad attitude to have, but needed to get that out!!!!!

17. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Oct 14, 2005

We do a breakfast for our principal. It will be on Monday. We also give her a gift of some sort from our Sunshine fund. I am making an apple breaskfast pie.... yummy!!!

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 14, 2005

kinderkids - Why don't you have a set amount that everyone agrees on contributing? You're right - it's not fair the way it is now. A few are taking advantage.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

Because no one will agree.......:( Everyone thinks it should be their own business what they contribute........It isn't the majority, but it is ALWAYS the same ones.......and, what is even more frustrating, is that even though some don't contribute, someone ALWAYS signs their names to the card as well. Grrrrrrrrr, that makes me really mad. Obviously, they didn't want to contribute, but someone always feels it is the "right" thing to do to include everyone.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

If someone chooses not to contribute, I don't think their name should be on the card. We have had that happen at work and after asking for money 3 days in a row, and getting no response, it is taken as a NO I don't want to contribute. We are asked to contribute for our bosses birthdays(we have 3 bosses), anniversaries, bosses day, and Christmas. We have around 15 employees and I feel that $2.00 per person for each event is enough money for a decent gift. You can get a nice gift for $30.00. They always ask for $3.00 and I think that is unnecessary. Our bosses make 3 times what we do in a year.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2005

I agree, they shouldn't be included!! It makes me really mad, I don't know why some seem to think it wouldn't be nice to leave someone out......it's not like they weren't asked for pete sakes!! I only get my boss something on bosses day.......so that is why I contribute more. We pick secret santas at Christmas......we don't usually get him something then (probably we should though) so that is why I am more generous for this occasion. If it was more often, I wouldn't be so generous......

22. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Oct 15, 2005

Last year, it seemed like an envelope was passed around for something or other every single week! Contributions for bridal showers, get well soon flowers, etc. It got to be really frustrating. I think it was much less intrusive to have an envelope in the office. That way, those who wanted to contribute could go there and do so, and sign their name on the card. Those who had never even met the bride-to-be or person with the hurt wrist then were not pressured by an envelope being brought in in the middle of class every day until your name got checked off the list!

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

knittingbec, that would be way too much to expect. Some people just get carried away with these "events." One of the things that I really don't like is being interrupted in my classroom. I have so many people asking me things all morning long when I am trying to maintain a peaceful atmosphere and THEN they like to hang around and TALK really loud...which in turn, gets the kids talking louder and soon everything is disrupted.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 15, 2005

May I ask, why in the world is bosses day on a Sunday?

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

Most likely so people have time to spend money on their boss on Monday if they forgot to buy on Friday. It's strictly a commercial thing, surprise, surprise!!!

26. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

I'm right there with ya Kinderkids! The last two years I offered to buy presents and did, and my team hardly gave their share of the gift. I would tell them total cost and they still never gave enough. One even said, (after I bought the present and she agreed to help pay for it), "I will just take my share I owe you and give it as a donation to my walk-." It was a walk for a cure, and I would have given her a donation, I just didn't like the way I was approached. Oh well...

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

lve2tch, isn't that so frustrating? I bought presents last year for secretarys day, I ended up paying so much out of pocket........I will NEVER do that again. Why do people even say they will chip in, when they never do. Lesson learned for me. :(

28. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

Yep- I don't do it anymore. I've also been on the otherside and agree to pitch in and then the person who bought the gift spent way over what we agreed on and then I end up having to pay much more. Is there a way to get around all this community gift giving without something going wrong? I am not sure.

29. srh

srh Devotee

Oct 15, 2005

We're doing a dessert "potluck" after school on Monday...and for a personal touch, because our principal has us looking at lots of "wheat fields" (stats and such), we're doing a basket of wheat-related items: wheat thins, wheaties, etc. Should be funny to catch that in a pic! :-D

30. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

srh, that potluck idea is a good one. lve2tch, I've been on that end as well, where they spend too much and then ask for more. I wish I knew of an easier way to handle it.......do you chip in at Christmas as well or other occasions? makes you just want to do something on your own.....but then you don't have enough funds for something decent. :(

31. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

This year we have to pitch in to the party fund. Here's something funny about that!! The first year I was at this school, I got pregnant. The party fund did NOTHING for me to celebrate my being pregnant. I left without any murmur of congratulations or anything. Yes, I came back to the same school because there were some changes in administration, etc. But I have a tough time contributing money to a pool that I never really know where or what the money is used for.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

Oh, that is terrible......how inconsiderate!! I don't blame you for not wanting to contribute. that kind of stuff ALWAYS seems to happen to me!

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2005

Since I'm my own boss and I don't have any employees, I bought myself a cute tank top on clearance at Target yesterday. Happy Bosses day to myself! Ok...actually, I just used it as an excuse. It was a really cute tank top with speghetti straps with a bit of a bohemian look and I couldn't pass it up for $6.

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2005

Happy Bosses day, Jen!! Glad you treated yourself to something special!! :)

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2005

Happy Bosses Day, Jen!

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2005

Thanks!