Boss asking about next year already, but I feel like I may want to explore my options

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tek, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jan 12, 2015

I like my school, and I would like to return, but part of me is also curious about teaching at a public school (I teach at a private school). I know the pay is much better (as in 15-20K more) and I might like to try my hand at a new challenge.

However, I don't know if I should tell my boss this. Then again, I don't want to lie and say "At this time, I am planning to return." I suppose that is true, but it's more along the lines of "I'm planning to return if doors stay closed." But I feel that's an awful presentation to make... I don't want it to come across that my current situation is my fallback.

Anyway, how would you recommend me go about this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2015

Whenever my current boss asks me if I plan on returning and I have yet to secure a new boss, then my answer is always "yes" - regardless of my prospects or desire to leave.

That's just me though.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 12, 2015

I have seen this situation too often. I have learned from seeing my colleagues hurt, that you need to always say you are going to be returning until you have an actual offer from another school.

5. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Jan 12, 2015

If you don't mind me asking - what is it like teaching private school? How different do you think it is from public? I've been in public school teaching for four years now and it just gets more pressure, anxiety, stress and depression each year. I'm trying to cope because most days i enjoy my job, but am exploring other options.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2015

Private schools are all different - many are specialized for various reasons, be it mental health, parochial, or elite skills. With that much variability, it helps to have a good inventory on your skill strengths and what you are comfortable with outside of the public school realm. Just an observation.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 13, 2015

Wouldn't you need a letter of recommendation from the principal?

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 13, 2015

I moved from a private christian school to a public magnet school last year. I did not mention anything to my old principal until I had been offered the job at the new school. I was in a very similar situation, I wanted to return if I could not get a public school job.

I will say this… the difference is pretty big. I basically doubled my salary.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2015

This year I moved from public school to private school. I taught public school for many years. Private school has been a world of difference, all positive. The stress of teaching to artificial standards decided by "experts" who have never stepped a foot in a classroom is gone. Testing pressures are gone. I have complete control of my classroom. No observations that help determine my salary. Way smaller class.
    The lower salary is not a concern because I don't have any debts other than utilities and groceries.
    As much as I love the school, this will be my last year. Need more time to spend at the theme parks!

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

I definitely wouldn't say anything that this point. When next year is discussed just smile and nod. Don't really make comments either way.