Borrowing staff keys to use restroom. Would, or does this bug you?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Oct 7, 2015.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 7, 2015

One of the challenges of being a male sub is limited access to staff restrooms.
    At most schools, especially elementary schools, our options are usually limited.
    The school I am working at this Thursday has four restrooms for men, and five for women, but since sub staff is not provided restroom keys, I need to ask other staff members to borrow their key.
    They used to have one hanging on a hook, but they did not replace it.

The female subs can use the restroom in the lounge that is women only and requires no key.

I would really like my own key, but since this only affects male subs, my request for a key in the future would likely fall on deaf ears.

In the past I have asked the office manager if there were any extra restroom keys, and the answer was no.

Is this issue worth bringing up to the school principal, or our personnel technician, or do you think there is little motivation to do anything about it?

Opinions requested.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 7, 2015

The building in which I spent most of my graduate career was old enough that it had just one restroom per floor; by the time I was at that university, the restroom had been relabeled as a women's room, and the nearest men's room was on the floor below. One year one of the male professors had an illness that made it challenging to get downstairs in a hurry. If he came by the office with a certain pleading look on his face, either the department secretary or one of us female grad students would clear the women's room and then ward off women who wanted to use it till he was done.

You're entitled to use of a restroom, for heaven's sake. I'll guess that your district is in an area where it makes sense not to just leave the staff restrooms unlocked during the school day. If no key can be freed up for you, and if the restroom in the lounge is a single-seater, I'd recommend using that restroom as though it were unisex; you could post a note on the door in the morning to the effect that that's what you'll be doing. If there's what passes for a nurse's office with a restroom, it is nearly always unisex: use it.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2015

They have to give you a key or make one available. Otherwise, they risk an OSHA complaint.

Haywood Giles likes this.
  5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 7, 2015

In my department, we have a co-Ed bathroom for teachers. It's clean and has multiple stalls and we know each other, so it's alright. There is an all women's bathroom too, but it's closer and more convenient to use the co-Ed one.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 7, 2015

WHOOPS!, I intended to put teachergroupies quote here not mine.

I believe this was one of the two schools that caught me using the nurse restroom a couple years ago, and told me not to use it.

I have mentioned to a few teachers that this was the best school in the district for classroom atmosphere, which is true, but I then added that it was the worst in the district for male sub restroom access, and they somewhat agreed, yet no one said to just go ahead and use the women's, which is for one person at a time.

I suspect that since the office manager said no to the nurse restroom, she would probably say no to the women's restroom.

This denial, however, was back when the men had a key on a hook to use, but I doubt it would matter. Two other schools have a key on a hook in the office for men subs to share, but this is not ideal either.

As it turned out, when I read the details of this job, it was for a bilingual sub, so I cancelled it and got a job at a different school. Details are not provided by phone, only computer.

When I do go to this school again, I will try using the women's restroom until someone stops me.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 7, 2015

When I was at this school a couple weeks ago, I borrowed keys from the janitor, a teacher, and the office manager, who gave me her entire stack of keys.

Is this OK with OSHA?

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 8, 2015

The problem would be if you are denied free access to the toilet. That could be seen as a workplace hazard.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2015

Our washrooms (all 4 of them!) are all "singles", so are not designated for Men or Women. We tend to leave the doors open when not occupied so as to eliminate the need to keys--they are keyed differently than the classroom doors and the caretaker has only given keys to staff who ask for them.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 8, 2015

We use the same bathrooms as the students, so this would not be an issue in my building. There are staff only bathrooms, but they are too far away!