Borrowed something from a friend...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Feb 4, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2012

I borrowed a book from one of my work friends this summer. I distinctly remember giving it back to her on a day we went shopping together later in the summer. She just told me this week that she thought I still had it. I told her I'd given it back and even reminded her it was when we went shopping and she says I didn't. I even checked my entire apartment just to make sure I wasn't crazy or anything and I don't see it. I don't own any books (I frequent the library instead of buying them) so it couldn't have possibly "blended in" either. I'm 100% positive I gave it back to her. Would you just buy her a new one even knowing you didn't lose it? It's a hardback so it's about 15 dollars- I guess not that big of a deal but I'd be annoyed about spending money for something I'm absolutely sure I gave back to her.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2012

Nope...you gave it back.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2012

I would buy one for the friend. I do not borrow many things from people because of these confusions.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 5, 2012

I'm sure you returned it, but how about suggesting that you both search each of your apts/homes/cars w/ a fine tooth comb just in case & if she still can't find it, I guess go ahead & get her another. It's a good thing it's only $15.

In Oct, a work colleague lent me a huge exam prep hardback & is letting me boorrow it for a FEW YRS. I hope when I finally return it, this doesn't happen to me! :)

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 5, 2012

I would. The friendship is worth more than the $15 I would lose. Sometimes we (on either side) forget these things. It's not worth the hassle.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

I think you should search her house with her. It's only 15 dollars, but I would still be annoyed.

8. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Feb 5, 2012

I'm sure you did return it, but she sounds a little bit forgetful or disorganized--either way, you did borrow it from her so in her mind the onus is on you. I'd buy her another one (the $15 isn't worth the hard feelings it might engender, imo), but would plan on being careful not to borrow anything from her again.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 5, 2012

I am not sure if I would get her a new book. I would be annoyed for sure.

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

NO WAY!
    You gave it back to her SO if she's a friend, like she claims to be, THEN your word is good enough. Make sure for future dealings with this particular friend that you make notes and date them for references.:help:
    Rebel1

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 5, 2012

Rebel1 did make a very good point, especially if the book was a lot more expensive. I'm sure more pposters here have been saying to just buy another since it's ONLY $15. I'd make sure to have her sign things in/out from now on if each of you every borrow from each other again & I wouldn't be quick to do that.

12. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Feb 5, 2012

Could you compromise and buy a used version for less? I don't think you should feel obligated to buy a new copy of the book for her, though.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

This is a really good idea!

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

Thankfully, my friendships are worth more than $15 to me. I would offer to look again, and casually recommend she do the same. If neither of us can find it, I would offer to buy the book to replace it. Luckily, most of my friends would not ask me to replace the book, but I would if it was going to be an issue.

I sure would not start making my friends sign things in and out. Things get lost, and at the end of the day, they are things. Anything too valuable to get lost or broken doesn't get lent out.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 5, 2012

That!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 5, 2012

Yes, exactly what I said in post #4 at 1st (above). And true, no one should have to resort to signing things in & out like the library. I know I for one have enough other things to worry about.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 5, 2012

If I had a book that got passed around a lot, I might do a sign out thing in my desk. One such example was a teacher who had a really awesome math book that was great for studying for Praxis. Later I went back to ask for the title and he had lent it out so many times that he had no clue who had it. He really didn't mind but unfortunately he also didn't know the title of the book. Darn.

Edit to add: Other than that, I wouldn't start a check out system among friends.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 6, 2012

Buy the book. Life is too short and this will give you both piece of mind. Buy it used but in good condition. It might save you a few dollars but friendships are priceless.:hugs: