Boredom....ugh!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Carebear05, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Ok..so the Title I teacher and I had a conference with a parent yesterday...her son is repeating 1st grade based on his low reading ability at the end of the year last year. The boy pretty much hates school..or at least his parents say that he says that, because of the fact that I think he has low self-confidence, his friends are in 2nd grade, etc., which is understandable. He doesnt seem to show that he hates school like he did at the beg. of the year. I told her that i def. see more enthusiasm about reading compared to last yr. However, when the Title 1 teacher asked how how felt about school, thats when the mother said he hated it, yada yada, and then came the word "bored". I absolutely HATE that word. I get annoyed when parents say it because in a way I feel that it is offensive towards me as teacher, and also because I dont think that 6 and 7 yr olds know what boredom is. Not to mention, 1st grade is hard and they learn so much!
    Ok so my dilemma is this. I understand in some ways how he could be bored because of the fact that yes he has gone thru everything. But first of all I know that I teach Science and SS different than his teacher last yr. Math he excels in and sometimes he's not in class for Math because he's reading with the Title 1 teacher. Anyway, the Title 1 teacher suggested that maybe I have him play a math game on the comp. after he finishes his fact sheets since he finishes so quickly. I can see how he would enjoy this and it would keep him out of trouble, but then I think about what happens when the other students go home and tell their parents that little Johnny gets to play on the computer all the time. Also, she mentioned that he's doing great on his spelling tests. We have had issues at the school in other grades with parents wanting their children to have harder words. None of my other parents have complained, even the ones who's kids can read better than he can. I just decided to add some challenge words because I dont feel that he needs a new list. I told the mother that many kids memorize words for tests but cannot spell them when it comes to writing. Anyway, sorry this is so long and drawn out, but what do you do with kids that are supposedly "bored" to help keep them active and interested? This is only my 2nd yr. so I dont know a lot about extension activities and what to do in these situations.

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 30, 2008

If the title person has been around, take her advice. I went to a workshop and this is a great thing to keep in mind. If a parent ever calls saying that says..I head johnny is getting to play on the computer all day, why doesnt my sally. Simply say ..I will gladly talk to you about the concerns you have for your daughter and what is best for her education, but I will not discuss why one student is doing something that is best for their education. They want us to make things more individualized....so they can't complain! lol It's like saying to you doctor...i head you gave someone this..and even though I'm allergic to it..you should give it to me b/c you gave it to them..if that makes sense! lol

Even though he is good at math.. when he's dones early encourage him to read..maybe even find some books that incorporate math since he seems to feel pretty confident in that area..in might help in his reading.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2008

I agree with differentiation but I"m not sure about singling him out on the computer because that age is too much about being the same or fair.