BORED with my ideas..new centers needed!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach12, Jun 27, 2010.

1. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jun 27, 2010

I am feeling bored with my literacy and math center activities. I would love to steal new great ideas from other first grade teachers!! Please share some of your favorite ideas for independent centers...reading or math!!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

Perhaps let us know what you currently have/do, then we can maybe help out.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2010

Well, I'm not officially a 1st Grade teacher, yet. But these are some of my kids' favorites. The picture quality isn't very good, I had to crop their faces out:

Picnic words: they read the words on the plate and then match the food that corresponds to it.

[​IMG]

Candyland blends-I just wrote the beginning blends on the gameboard and then the cards have pics of things-sheep, they move to the "sh" - i've also done it with vowel sounds, dog move to the "o".

[​IMG]

I will also put letter stickers on the checkers from a Connect Four game and have them spell words. I found a Toss Across game at TJ Maxx last year and put money stickers on it-they have to match amounts across.

I'm such a teaching nerd-I was shopping last summer at Target and picked up the Indiana Jones Life game and my friend was making fun of me-I said I know I can do something with this, it's a perfect gameboard-empty spaces and a sturdy spinner. :p

5. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

I really stick to the Daily 5, so I don't have to make anything. I just change out the books at listening each week and I change the words they are working on at work with words each week. I have tons of books for read to self and read to buddy. And I add a computer station.