Bored with morning calendar

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Emma35, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 26, 2007

Awesome! I started the year writing the morning message before school. But then one day I forgot, and since then we've been doing it shared every morning. It's been going great! Thanks!

One thing I need to work on, which we were talking about before on another thread, is interactive writing. I have yet to do that this year.

2. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007

I'm glad your shared writing time is going great! I think it was a good idea to start the first couple of days of school with an already written message, especially for 1st graders. They wouldn't know what to say in a morning message yet so you modeling for them was a great idea. I bet it helped them come up with their own things to say!:p
    Yeah, I haven't started interactive writing yet either. It's mainly because I have a "rough" group this year and they need alot of modeling, modeling, modeling first! I had to spend the first 3 weeks of school just getting them to sit still, be quiet & listen to learn! :rolleyes:But we did do our morning message as shared writing and it's going great! I'm hoping we can start interactive writing by the beginning of October. It's just with interactive writing, the kids are asked to do different things which requires them to be "interactive" but the problem is....they are TOO INTERACTIVE already!!!!!!

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 27, 2007

Yeah just imagining interactive writing with my group makes me nervous!! Especially since I've never really done it before (at least the right way!)! But I feel like I understand it a lot more now. It's just going to be a learning experience the first several times.

I'm thinking of trying one sentence a day about something exciting they did or learned to make up a "Weekly News" we can post outside. That's my goal. We'll see how that happens... It also would be neat to post on the website (if my parents ever go on it) or maybe in the newsletter?

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2007

You know, I was thinking about having 3 kids a month, in their own words, state something fun or interesting we did during the month. I will then type out exactly what they said in the newsletter.
    I will start interactive writing at the end of the day to discuss/respond to our day. But you know, you can always do shared writing & interactive writing in the content areas. Like if you are doing a neat science experiment, you can have the kids write out the steps of the experiment. Or in social studies, the kids can share the pen with the teacher writing important places in a community etc. I think I will incorporate more interactive writing in the content areas...just to make sure I get it in everyday. Because there have been days when I couldn't have possibly have gotten in interactive writing at the end of the day because it's just too crazy!!!:eek:Not with the group I have this year!

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 30, 2007

I am all in being a "dork" sister. :lol: