"Bored" students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by QE1, Nov 28, 2012.

1. QE1

QE1 Rookie

Nov 28, 2012

Today I attempted to have a conversation one on one with a student about his lack of effort and talking in class. During the conversation he said that English is boring. So, I asked him what I could do to make it more interesting, and he responded with nothing that the subject is just boring and no matter what he won't do the work.

How would deal with this?

I do teach at a credit recovery school and we have a lot of students that are very angry and apathetic with the world. I've tried working with my students to improve their apathy and it has help with some, but I am at a loss of what to do with students like this.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 28, 2012

Boring is also standing at line at Disneyland, but it is worth the wait. Boring is hours of training and practice to become a football player, but in the end it is worth it. Every type of fun has a cost of it in boredom. How much boredom you are willing to put up with decide how successful one becomes.

Will this work with him, I doubt it--but it might make a small, small dent.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 29, 2012

I don't know how many times I've had this conversation. Students don't have a clue or don't want to put forth the effort to figure out how to make something more interesting for themselves.

You literally have to do it for them, so asking them "How can I make this more interesting" is a fruitless question I've found.

I've also found that the entire class can find an activity exciting and fun and look forward to being in your class everyday and there will always be those one or two students who just don't want to be there and will say your class is boring no matter what.

They may not even really find your class boring. They do it to be contrary. Don't pay them any mind and keep doing your job. =]

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2012

Honestly, some things are just boring. I hate shopping. To me it's boring. There's not a single thing in the world that would make me want to go shopping, to enjoy shopping or to ever do anything to make me like shopping.

Maybe that's how this kid feels about English. Oh well. When kids tell me they think science is boring I just say "okay, but you need to pass it to graduate!" Just keep doing what you're doing.

6. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Nov 29, 2012

When I get those students, I just tell them "You can be bored. You don't have to like it. You DO have to put in the effort to pass, though, if you plan to graduate. It's your call." I stick with that attitude....It is THEIR responsibility to do the work. I am not here to be entertainment.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2012

I tell them that I'm not in the entertainment business, and that "bored" is another way to say "I don't want to do this". I then remind them that I spend a lot of my time doing boring things.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 29, 2012

I often respond to statements like the ones you encountered with, "Well, you've got a problem then. Because I'm not Jay Leno and this ain't the 'Tonight Show.'"

Do they get it? Some do. But who cares? As long as it cracks me up.

:cool:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2012

Boredom is a choice.

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Nov 29, 2012

My response is usually, "It's not my job to entertain you, it's my job to educate you. Now, do your work." Ultimately, it's their choice. You can't force them. And of course, I do what I can to make my class fun and interesting, but there will ALWAYS be those kids who hate every activity and find everything boring. If they want to pass the class, they have to suck it up and do it anyway.