Borax ornaments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Nelscell, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Nelscell

Nelscell New Member

Nov 21, 2014

I am teaching an art club where the ingredients needed to make ornaments are borax, water and pipe cleaners. You first make a shape with the pipe cleaner than hang it in a mixture of borax and water overnight and the borax crystals adhere to the pipe cleaner. The only issue is that I am in Bangladesh for a year and they do not sell borax. Does anyone know what I can use as a substitute?

3. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 22, 2014

What timing! I was just coming on here to ask this question. I can't find Borax at my grocery store! (And I'm in Canada, not Bangladesh).

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 22, 2014

I think Borax is a startch. I know when I was looking at recipes to make slime/gak some said you could use liquid startch in place of the borax.

I've seen borax at walmart and at Smith's (Kroger) in the laundry isle.

BTW thanks for the activity. I'm going to try it with my preschool students! YEA!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 22, 2014

Sigh, my ipad is not behaving today. I just typed and posted a long response, but here the short version. I found an E-how article about using Alum to grow crystals. If worse come to worse, Amazon sell Borax.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2014

Check your laundry detergent aisle at the grocery: 30 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 22, 2014

I'm going to go to a larger grocery store later today and look for it. I didn't think it would be hard to find!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2014

It's always been in my grocery store. It's with the detergents. Yes, 30 Mule Team is one brand.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2014

Borax is a mineral. Nelscell, you might see if you can find it in the form of a cockroach control, or ask for it in a pharmacy.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 28, 2014

I tried this earlier in the week. It helps to use REALLY hot water. The crystals form better. I tried it twice before the three day Thanksgiving Break. the first day I used hot tap water. The second time I boiled the water in the microwave. The crystals formed over night the first day looked like frost. The second day the crystals formed actual crystals. It was really cool.