Booth or Table?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2013

I didn't want to completely hijack the other thread . . .

Do you prefer a booth or table at a restaurant?

I like tables unless they are really close together. Sometimes I literally feel like I'm sharing a table with strangers. Booths are claustrophobic to me, and I can't sit on the inside.

Booths aren't adjustable. At Outback the booth seats are so deep I sit cross-legged because when I rest my back against the seat, my feet stick out in front of me. :rolleyes: The local Mexican place has narrow booths, so my boobs are on the table. :blush:

No wonder I eat at home most of the time. :lol:

3. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 30, 2013

I'm a booth girl. I just love how I can spread my stuff all over the seat if it is just DH and I. Unfortunately, I do not share the same issue as Ima_Teacher. Sorry, TMI... :blush:

I just feel more comfortable in a booth than at a table. It's nice to not have to worry about sucking in when a person is trying to get by.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

I like booths. I feel exposed and uncomfortable when I'm at a table. I also get back pain depending on the type of chair at tables-I don't ever have that happen in booths.

5. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

I like booths because I can set my purse right there on the seat. It's also nice that I can sit next to my kids, and share whatever it is we are doing while we are waiting for our food- looking at a book, coloring on the paper mat, playing with the kindle...

I'd prefer not to sit at a table in the middle of a restaurant. It feels to "open".

Then again, I'm just happy to eat out- I guess I'd sit anywhere. :)

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

Booths. Specifically the inside of the booth if eating with more than just my husband. We will wait for a booth or just go to a different place. I agree with Far...I just feel far, far too exposed at a table. Most tables are in the middle. That's just miserable!

I like sit on one leg which is much more comfortable in a booth.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I prefer tables. I like to be right up next to the table when eating and I find that the great majority of booths are set too far back for this. It's either scoot up and have no back support or try to eat with over a foot of space between me and the table.

My parents love booths. They always request one and they will wait for an available one rather than being seated at a table right away.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

Definitely a booth! I hate having my back to the door, and I always feel as though I do when I am at a restaurant table.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

Booths

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2013

I like booths except at one local restaurant. The booth seats are so far back that my knees do not go under the table unless I'm perched on the edge of the seat.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

Booths. They feel more private to me, and its easier to focus on the people with me. If I'm at a table in the middle of the restaurant, movement around me catches me eye.

12. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 1, 2013

Booth! I will always choose a booth when I have the option. I am not sure why I prefer a booth though... it just feels right.

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 1, 2013

Table when with the whole family because like clockwork, the inside kid will want to get out and go to the bathroom or look in the fish tank or something causing me to get up and down if I'm in a booth!

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 1, 2013

Booths are more comfortable. We don't go out of our way to request booths, but we usually prefer them as they are padded (and my mom has major back problems)

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

I prefer booths, though we don't go out of our way to request one.

There's an awesome steak house a few towns north that hasn't changed much from the 40s. Huge semicircle booths with high backs, very private, arranged so that every booth faces a stage. Love it.

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2013

I prefer a booth because I always seem to have a lot of stuff with me. It also feels cozier. Plus at most restaurants I frequent, booths tend to be along the wall and near windows, whereas tables are almost always in the middle of the restaurant, so it feels loud and crowded to me. Also you always have to watch out that you're not ramming the back of your chair into the back of the chair of the person behind you (unless you're against a wall) :dizzy:

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

I usually prefer booths, because in most restaurants it feels that tables are out in the open and just in the way of foot traffic. I don't mind tables that are near walls, though.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2013

Booths for sure & I never used to be as picky about it as I am nowadays.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

Booth..I will wait until one is available...they are just more comfortable than the table.

20. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 1, 2013

Me too. I won't sit at a table if there's a booth I can wait for (provided that everyone in my party agrees with me.) Going to restaurants is just too expensive to allow oneself to be uncomfortable.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

I always tuck one leg under me, so this is why I prefer booths as well.

There are a couple of restaurants in town where the booths are super squished, cramped, and uncomfortable. One of them even left a nasty red mark across my chest one time from where I was pushed up against the table. :( At those restaurants, I prefer tables.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2013

We usually take 1st available. It depends on the restaurant. Since I'm short many times the bench is too far away from the table in a booth.

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

I like booths! Sometimes I like to sit next to my husband at dinner and that is best accomplished in a booth. I also like to be able to sit my purse next to me instead of on the table, floor, or another chair.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

JustMe~the more I read of your posts, the more I think we might be the same person!! I love sitting on one leg when I eat, even out in public.

25. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

It doesn't matter to me as long as I'm not in the middle of the room! I don't like it when restaurants have more open floor plans. When I sit in the middle of the room, I feel like I'm on display for everyone to watch!

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I like booths - they offer a sense of privacy.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

Just seeing this...too funny!

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

I don't have a preference. Whenever I go to a restaurant that's crowded, I tell them to seat me wherever I'll have the shortest wait time.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

It depends. I am short so if the seat of the booth is too low then I can barely reach the table. I have had to change tables because of crummy booth seats so I'm usually inclined to go for the regular table with chairs.

30. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2013

We definitely wait for a table if we have to...unless it's in the middle of the room rather than on the outside - then we'll take a booth. At our little one's age, it's just been easier to sit at a table than a booth and hubby just prefers a table anyway.