Boosting Reading Instruction

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, May 6, 2013.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 6, 2013

boosting my own reading instruction

I am looking to boost my Reading instruction for the coming school year. I know there is always room to improve, and since this is the main subject I taught this year and will be teaching next year, I am looking to do some reading on my own this summer. Are there any books that you'd recommend for Reading teachers at the upper elementary level? What are your favorites?

TIA!

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 6, 2013

This rec may be very basic, but I always suggest starting with "Direct Instruction" by Carnine et al:

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Instruction-Reading-Douglas-Carnine/dp/0135020859

Even if you've used a DI program, this helps explains the basics and will give you a foundation to evaluate/modify other programs.

Another great book: "Curriculum-Based Evaluation"

http://www.amazon.com/Curriculum-Ba...1&sr=1-1&keywords=curriculum-based+evaluation

Immensely helpful for detailed assessment of not only reading, but other subjects. Really changed my thinking and approach toward assessment in general. Very technical but so worth it.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 6, 2013

CAFE

Daily Five

"I Read It But I Don't Get It"

"Why Johnny Can't Read"

"Strategies That Work"

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 6, 2013

What has made a big impact on our fourth grade team was we focused on creating enthusiastic readers. Our goal became that each student will read a minimum of 3,000 words a day. We wanted to create readers.

Another element of our program was that given several free time choices, students will pick reading as a fun activity. We did a study of what our students choose prior to the treatment so we could track improvement.

We eliminated ability grouping, worksheets/workbooks and replaced the skill lessons with author-imitation writing projects. To imitate an author, a student really needs to study how that person creates suspense, develops characters and so forth. Since the authors seldom make spelling errors, we imitate that, too.

We got some of our ideas from this blog:

http://ed-is-life.blogspot.com/2012/04/teacher-tech4-steps-to-boosting-reading.html

Our reading scores ticked up a bit, but what really soared was how much our kids love reading time.

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 8, 2013

Thank you for the recommendations! I'm going to look into them as soon as I have some free time to sit down and focus more on it. I am thankful I have a place where I can come and hear what works for others! Thanks!

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 9, 2013

Katie Wood Ray

Stephanie Taberski

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 12, 2013

I have only read Katie Wood Ray's work on writing. I'll have to check into her Reading stuff! Thanks!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2013

Debbie Miller and Regie Routman

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 12, 2013

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

Reading is such a big topic. I would try to identify specific areas of instruction within that topic that you feel would be beneficial for personal growth and try to locate books with that in mind.