Booster/Car Seats

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DizneeTeachR, Apr 9, 2011.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2011

I know there are a lot of "veteran" moms & new moms & moms to be on here...so I wanted to ask about what car seat & booster seats as kids get older you've used?!?!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 9, 2011

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 9, 2011

Mine are in Roundabouts right now.

5. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Apr 9, 2011

My 9 month old is in a convertible Cosco. It was inexpensive and I like it so far. As an infant, we used a Graco infant seat.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

Ms Mar, that's pretty much the booster seat we used for our kids.

7. repete8

repete8 Companion

Apr 10, 2011

we have the myride 65 car seat from graco----infant seat all the way to forward facing and 65 pounds.....graco also has a newer car seat (not sure of the name)--it goes from infant up to 100 pounds and supposedly once the base is installed, you never have to install again....

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 10, 2011

Smart Seat :)

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2011

I was very surprised to learn some time ago that children-children (as in, not toddlers) are to be in some type of seat. We certainly didn't use them growing up. Of course, it's hard to strap in booster seats in the back of a truck. :)

Be honest: who follows the recommendations and or laws for older children?

10. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Apr 11, 2011

11. repete8

repete8 Companion

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 11, 2011

In Wa state if you go to the State Patrol clinics to have them install your seat....they will take a seat with an expiration date of more than five years and drop it in the giant dumpster next to them. Then they have you purchase a seat on the spot. It is just the little Graco booster, the one in the picture already posted. I have had so many irrate parents when the State takes the seat. So yes, in WA state your seat that moves with your child from 0 to 8 can't begin and end with the child. It is only good for whatever 5 years you own it for. Also any sort of tap of bumper sort of crash and you will be warned that you need a new seat. No hand me downs are supposed to happen in WA either.

Can I move now?

We just used the Graco infant seats, the convertable seat that had the largest size range for the fewest dollars (in case of recalls---of which there were a lot during my children's time in seats) and the Graco little booster. One of our Graco seats had a top/back that removed and left you with a little seat. Since that was before all vans had headrests at all slots (another rule in WA for car seat children) it helped a lot to have the back on the seat for an option and to be able to remove it if you were placing them in a car that already had a headrest.

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 12, 2011

15. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Apr 13, 2011

The expiry date for the carseat is printed on the seat, usually on the back. They vary by manufacturer; the Graco Nautilus expires in December of the 9th year.

Many of the the 3-in-1 seats that are advertised as "the only seat you'll ever need" aren't really a bargain. Often they don't fit small infants well, or make terrible boosters. There are some that are fine in all modes; I can't remember which seats those are (but they aren't the Alpha Omegas).

If you are really interested, check out http://www.car-seat.org and poke around a bit or ask some questions. :D

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2011

We went out to dinner a couple of weeks ago & saw a child get into the front seat of a pick up...mind you child was probably around 3. I thought maybe because it's a work truck it had a booster...NOTHING!!! OMGosh!!! I was shocked people STILL do this!!!

17. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Apr 14, 2011

Good to know that different car seats have different expiration lengths!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

We have, absolutely.

Have our kids argued about it once or twice? Sure. I can't tell you the number of times Julia has gotten into the front seat (so her friends can think she's sitting in the front) then climbed into the back when she hoped they weren't looking) simply because it's safer for kids to be in the back. She's getting close to 12 now, and the winter snows are gone (making the roads safer) so I'm letting her sit in the front seat now and then. And that's a recommendation, not a law.

That's OK. I'll take an arguement with my kids over the alternative any day. Making the unpopular choices is part of the job description.

From http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-1.htm
    NYS Law:
    An appropriate child safety restraint system:

•Is required for all children until their 8th birthday and,
    •Must meet the size and weight requirements for the child based on the Federal requirements and the recommendations of the manufacturer, and
    •Can be a child safety seat, a harness, a vest or a booster seat attached with the vehicle seat belt or latch system, but not the vehicle seat belt alone, and
    •Should not be used in the front seat of the vehicle.