Boomwhackers

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by MissCD, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MissCD

MissCD New Member

Jul 19, 2012

I am not a music teacher, but I have to teach music at my school. I have a class of 11 3rd-8th graders, two sets of Boomwhackers (Diatonic C scale, whatever that means....), and no idea what to do with them.

I was hoping to find some really simple sheet music online (preferably color coded to the Boomwhacker colors, but I could do that myself). However, being a very "non-music" person, I'm having a hard time finding simple tunes that use only the notes in my Boomwhacker sets. Any ideas?

Any other suggestions for how to use Boomwhackers to teach music? Granted, I'll have to learn it myself first, but I was thinking basic note reading and...I don't know. I'm pretty much a blank slate, here. Any suggestions? :help:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2012

I'm not a music teacher, but the music teacher in my building does use Boomwhackers...a quick google search turns up A LOT...I'd start there.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2012

I would start off just using them for rhythm, and not playing songs. There are a lot of books you can buy with activities for them.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 19, 2012

3rd - 8th all in one class..yikes! :woot: The diatonic boomwhackers will give you the 8 notes in the scale with no sharps or flats. You'll have C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C. You could do many kid songs with that like "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Mary Had ...Lamb", etc..

Once they know how they work I would have them create their own songs. They'll like that.

One thing you may want to capitalize on is listening to music. K to 8 has an activity called Squilt you may enjoy. You can do classical, jazz, pop, rock, rap, world music.

Music K-8 also has awesome lesson ideas. I know they have boomwhacker stuff.

Here's some links of sites I like & use.

Music K-8 - idea & resources to buy
    http://www.musick8.com/html/ideabank.php

Music in Motion - resources to buy
    http://www.musicmotion.com/

MENC - lesson ideas & forum
    http://musiced.nafme.org/my-music-class/

Good Luck! :D

6. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 19, 2012

If the boomwhackers come with the black plastic caps you can increase the number of notes, since capping one end will change the pitch.

7. keyman19

keyman19 Rookie

Nov 23, 2014

If you send me the boomwhackers I will write out 346 songs for your personal use.