Bookshelves

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Roobunny, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

As a brand new teacher, I don't have many books yet for my classroom library and I had thought about doing the whole book basket thing to organize what I do have.

However, I got this GREAT deal from a teacher moving from elementary to middle school - two Closet Maid bookshelves for $5 each. I couldn't pass that up! I don't think book baskets would work with the unit, but I'd still like to use it for my library. My question is this: For those of you who don't use book baskets how do you organize books on the shelf? If possible, visuals would greatly help. Everything I've come across uses the baskets...

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

The problem with using a shelf is that students struggle to return books correctly and the books on the shelf start to fall over when many books are removed from the shelf.

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 28, 2012

That's true but with middle school students, they can arrange them in whatever order you would like. Sorry I see that the other teacher who had the shelves previously was moving to MS. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2012

I think you'll find there's a reason your finding lots of basket users. It's best to display books with the cover facing out. Could you maybe use dishpans or a different size basket?

6. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I can play around the basket sizes. I may just do the baskets and use the bookshelves for something else - oh well...you live, you learn :)

7. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jun 29, 2012

I've had a mix of baskets and books on shelves for several years, and the kids almost always go to the books in baskets first. They're much easier for them to find and manage, than just looking through the spines of books on a shelf. I'm actually going to be revamping my classroom library before next year so that they're all in baskets. It makes that much of a difference.

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 12, 2012

Can you post a pic. of the shelves? Congrats on the bargain find!!!!!!