Books

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019

I cancelled my cable about a month ago, because I was watching too much "crap" and getting too riled up by politics. Best decision ever! I have read 11 books in a month. I've always read a couple books a year (hides head in shame) and I can't believe I wasted so much time watching housewives fight. (haha)

I just finished "The Water is Wide" by Pat Conroy. Just loved it! I am on the waitlist for:
    -"Before We Were Yours"
    -'The Heartbeat of a Wounded Knee"

Have these on my wish list:
    -"I Thought We'd Never Speak Again"
    -"An Apple a Day" (not about teaching, about eating disorders)
    -"Sticks and Stones"
    -"A Teenage Brain"
    -"Look at Me in the Eyes"
    -"The Righteous Mind"
    -"Dopesick"
    -"The Divorce Papers"

What are your reading recommendations? I may try to read some of the classics again, because I haven't read them since middle/high school. By the way, I am really not into historical fiction. I find most of it corny. JMO, of course. I am going to try "Before We Were Yours" because the reviews are so good.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2019

I’m the same way... too much tv or internet, not enough book reading. I have bookshelves full of books I want to read but haven’t made time for - some education books and others just for fun. I’m currently working on making more time for it. Curious to see what recommendations you get.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2019

Since I retired about six months ago I have read more than 50 books. Right now I am concentrating on my new and old favorite authors...Stephen King, Faye and Jonathan Kellerman, Dean Koontz, etc. All easy, quick reads, but it beats the stuff on cable. I have also been catching up on the Canadian and British shows on Acorn tv. Lots of stuff that I couldn't do when work got in the way.

ecteach and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 17, 2019

I haven't been able to rd much either lately, but can tell you a few oldies that were awesome books that most people haven't read: 1. Stay Alive, My Son ( sad, but very informative and interesting)
    2. The Kitchen God's Wife ( funny in parts)
    3. The Prince of Tides ( It is a fat book, but be warned.....It is so hard to put down. Each chapter leaves you hanging. I started reading it one afternoon and truly could not stop at the end of each chapter. I found myself STILL reading at 9 in the morning. ( summer reading)
    Oh and congrats on cutting cable out of your diet. I could never justify paying for cable even though I used to blow a lot of $ wastefully. We were never at home enough to get our $'s worth and when I 1st built this place, cable was not even available here.
    My dad lives about 30-40 minutes away and he has it. I go over there and it is on (loud usually) and it is amazing how it can "suck ya into it." We usually turn it off to have a conversation, but if I was left alone w/ it, I'd probably be addicted and stressed!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    ecteach likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 17, 2019

I just finished The Radium Girls.

I check books out from the library on the Libby app. I read all kinds of things. Lots of random fiction and young adult fiction, mostly. But honestly, I’ll read anything.

I am currently without a book because my library card says it is invalid. I had to renew it a week ago, and I didn’t think she did it right, but she assured me it was fine. I’ve got to stop in after work tomorrow.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 17, 2019

Oh, I love to read!!
    Some favorite authors: Elizabeth George, Bill Bryson, Peter Robinson, Deborah Crombie, P.D. James, David McCullough, Katherine Center, Abbi Waxman, Lisa Jewell, Sue Grafton.
    I have tons of books, but I try to get most of them on my iPad on Overdrive - much cheaper and we are running out of space!

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2019

How was Sticks and Stones? That is on my list of books to read.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Nov 17, 2019

Where the Crawdids Sing and a Woman is no Man are awesome books.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2019

I read a lot--over 100 books a year. The Huntress by Kate Quinn was one of the best books I read this year.
    Other faves:
    The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelidis
    Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay
    The Nanny by Gilly Macmillan
    The One by John Marrs
    The Secret Wife by Gill Paul
    The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff

ecteach likes this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 18, 2019

I just started Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng for my book club. I think it's contemporary fiction but I could be wrong. I'm only on the 2nd chapter but it's supposed to be good. The best thing I ever did was join a book club in my town. I've been reading lots of good books that wouldn't have been on my radar otherwise.
    We also read Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult and The Library Book (non-fiction).

ecteach likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 18, 2019

My book club just read The Huntress last month and everyone loved it. The Alice Network by the same author was also good.

ecteach likes this.
  13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2019

Loved that one as well!

ecteach likes this.
  14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 23, 2019

Haven't read it yet. It's on my wish list. :)

15. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 23, 2019

[QUOTE="Ima Teacher, post: 2100757, member: 13683

"I check books out from the library on the Libby app." [/QUOTE]
    Me too!