Books to Read Over Christmas Break!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Starista, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 23, 2006

Hi! =)

So I have 19 days without my beloved first graders and really want to read some wonderful books!

I thought about re-reading the Harry Potters ~ but ~ I think I'd like something different!

I went to the library and got out some standard Danielle Steel and Nora Roberts (I'm a sucker for the romance novels!) but wonder if anyone has some wonderful book titles they could recommend for the break?

Thanks so much! :love:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2006

How about re-reading Gone with the Wind? I haven't re-read it in years and need to do so soon.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2006

Great suggestion, Alice. I re-read Gone with the Wind every 5 years or so, and love it every time! Starista, if you like romance, Diana Gabaldon has written a fabulous series of historical romance books set in Scotland. I've asked for a couple of books for Christmas, so am hoping I can spend a few days curled up with a good book as well!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 23, 2006

I usually love Elizabeth George, but her latest was a disappointment to me (What Came Before He Shot Her.)
    If you like English mystery, try Ann Granger.
    I plan on reading Cornelia Funke's books over the holidays - Inkheart, Inkspell, etc. They are for kids, but my higher students have been raving about them.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2006

I had forgotten all about her! I read one of hers and it was just amazing!!!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2006

Yes, Gabaldon is pure escapism...there is a new one I haven't read yet; if it isn't under the tree I'll get it for myself--perfect for curling up in front of the fire with a plate of Christmas cookies and a glass of wine. (Speaking of cookies, I'd better go and bake some shortbread.)

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

I love any and all of the Fern Michaels books. Romance, drama, funny everything all rolled up into one. I've also been reading Iris Johansen . I can't wait to read the new James Patterson book(Cross.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

I just finished Must Love Dogs and it was even better than the movie (of course). Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah was excellent, too. I've already finished 6 books this month and plan to read a few more before I go back on Jan 3rd.

10. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 23, 2006

I'm finishing Caleb Carr's The Angel of Darkness--it is a follow-up to The Alienist. The first was better, but both are good historical fiction/murder mysteries. I especially like how the fictional characters hang out with or move in the same social circles as "real" people--Clarence Darrow and Elizabeth Cady Stanton keep popping up in this book, Theodore Roosevelt and J. P. Morgan were big in the last.

Next up will be Tommy's Tale by Alan Cumming--a friend recommended it.

11. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 23, 2006

I have just started reading Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan and it is excellent!!! I also loved Joy Luck Club. After I am finished ith the first book I will start A Strange New World by Aldous Huxley.

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2006

The new Nicholas Sparks was GREAT!! Its called Dear John

13. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 24, 2006

:) :love: Speaking of Nicholas Sparks! I also plan to read "The Notebook."

I hope I like it!

14. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 25, 2006

I absolutely LOVED The Notebook:love: !!! I was bawling my eyes out reading that book! It is one that you can't put down!!!:angel:

15. JennaLove2Teach

JennaLove2Teach Rookie

Dec 25, 2006

I love all of Janet Evanovich's book...the series starts with One for the Money, but you could start anywhere really

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 25, 2006

I didn't even know there was a new Amy Tan. I'll have to get it.

17. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 25, 2006

Anything by James Patterson is good. also some of the Patricia Cornwall mysteries are fantastic. Terry G.

18. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 25, 2006

If you like Nicolas Sparks, you have to read At First Sight.
    It is by far the best, although I absolutely love ALL his novels. :love:

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 25, 2006

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 26, 2006

I second The Memorykeeper's Daughter - you could finish that one in 2 days, it is hard to put down!

21. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 26, 2006

I too heard Janet Evanovich's books are great although I've never read them.

I was planning on reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult. I've had it since the summer if not longer, but I only started reading it. I never finished it because of a family difficulty (now a miracle) that I think of each time I see the cover.

Let's hope I'm not bawling my eyes out while reading this.

22. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2006

I read Water for Elephants during fall break. It is so good. I'm not sure who wrote it.

23. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 26, 2006

Reading the Caleb Carr Novels

I followed your suggestion and got the Alienist and the Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr. I started reading the Alienist tonight. It is creepy and suspenseful.I love murder mysteries and historical novels. come with more suggestions. Terry G.:thanks: :p

24. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 26, 2006

I just finished The Bean Trees. It was excellent. I MUST read Great Gatsby before school starts, but I am also hoping to get my hands on the new Robert Jordan.. (ok, new to me, not sure how many weeks it has been out, though).

25. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2006

Great Gatsby is one of my all time favs!!!!

26. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 27, 2006

I found the new Elizabeth George disappointing too and I love the Cornelia Funkes.

Interestingly, I have also spent this break re-reading Harry Potter. How long till the next one?

27. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 27, 2006

Jodi Picoult is easy and very involving. I loved My Sister's Keeper - one of the most amazing endings ever (as good as Anita Shreve at the unexpected ending). Try Plain Truth by Picoult.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2006

I just saw, for the first time ever, the movie Pride and Prejudice. Needless to say, I'll be picking up the book today-- somehow I've never read it!

29. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 27, 2006

I thought the ending of My Sister's Keeper was very predictable--I was not a fan of the book. I keep meaning to read another novel by Picoult to see if I'd like her any better.

You will love it. It is so witty and intelligent, and the plot is just so lovely. Make sure that you cast Colin Firth in the "picture in your head version" because the story simply isn't complete without him as Mr. Darcy. :D

30. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 27, 2006

Oh, that made me smile. :D Both were my dad's suggestions, he loaned them to me. I'll be interested to hear how you compare The Angel of Darkness to The Alienist--I felt The Alienist was more compelling/suspenseful/etc., due in part to the narrator change and I think also to just a different storyline (more court room, less investigation), but was still a good read. My dad felt the same way.

I'll ask my dad for some similar recommendations--he likes murder mysteries (I'm not usually a huge fan but was home with nothing to read). I know he is reading The Italian Secretary by Carr right now, which is a novel incorporating some Sherlock Holmes aspects. I think he got the new Laurie R. King for Christmas as well.

31. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 27, 2006

Kids from Nowhere