Books to buy for the classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katyl1510, Nov 12, 2009.

1. katyl1510

katyl1510 Rookie

Nov 12, 2009

I am in my senior year college, I will complete my student teaching in the spring. I have started purchasing books for my future classroom... I have The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, The Magic Hat by Mem Fox, The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and others.

I was wondering what are some books you would suggest! I will be certified for grades 1-6, so any good books for those grades would be great! :)

Thank You!!!!!

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

No harm in getting several classics, but I'd advise against spending a lot of money until you know what grade you're going to teach. I have several hundred dollars worth of first grade books I haven't used in four years :(

Some books you can use in various grades are The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Sczieska (sp?), Tuesday by David Wiesner, Prince Cinders by Babette Cole, and The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss.

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Nov 12, 2009

The Lorax would be appropriate for several grade levels. I have used Cloudy, With a Chance of Meatballs for several elementary grade levels. There are so many!! Have fun, but it can get pricey!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 12, 2009

Oh my, books are my passion and it seems I never have enough. I'd try to wait and see what grade I'd be in before I'd make a big financial commitment, other wise you might have spent a lot of money unnecessarily.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2009

I think I would wait; books appropriate for Kindergarten aged kids won't do your 6th graders much good.

Instead, start working on a professional wardrobe. Start getting your resume and cover letter together. Work on networking.

And throw that spare cash into a bank account, to be spent on books once you land that job.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 12, 2009

Get the Pigeon books (Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, etc.) I teach upper elementary and use them as an example of voice in writing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Really though it is just a good excuse to pull them out and enjoy them. My older kids still love them.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2009

Actually, high quality, well written and illustrated picture books can be used from K thru adult for different reasons.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2009

I agree with starting your professional wardrobe first.

10. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 13, 2009

I agree about waiting, but when you do know what you will be teaching and about what books might already be in your classroom-then go to ebay and search for children's book lots. You do AR searches, Caldecott searches, a specific series or just look through all the children's lots. Its a great place to buy a lot of books at prices sooooo much cheaper than even a used bookstore.

11. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 13, 2009

Wait

Books are expensive and your starting salary may be low. I remember how exciting it was to start collecting books! It's a great feeling to have your own library, but waiting until you get an actual job is your best bet.

12. MRSJMR70

MRSJMR70 New Member

Nov 13, 2009

ALA

I agree with the PP's that it is probably a good idea not to spend your money yet. When you do find out your grade level, I would recommend the American Library Association lists of best books. They list the classics of course, but as librarians, they also know what the best new books are.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 13, 2009

Exactly. It would take days to list must-have books. I would suggest finding a teacher (maybe your cooperating teacher(s) when you student teach) who does scholastic book clubs. They would be happy to let you place orders, because they would get the points. Book orders are fairly cheap, and you can buy sets of books, too.

14. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Nov 13, 2009

Like some of the others have stated, it would be beneficial to wait until you get a steady salary. However, I do think it's important to buy slowly and gather some "here and there." I'm in the same position as you are in -- student teaching, ready to have my own classroom soon -- and I've slowly started collecting books that I thought were great. Have you ever heard of The Legend books; The Legend of Sleeping Bear, The Legend of Mackinac Island, The Legend of the Petoskey Stone, The Legend of the Loon? Those are GREAT books when trying to incorporate a children's book into your Social Studies lesson.

15. katyl1510

katyl1510 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

Thanks for all of your input. Ever since I declared as a Childhood Ed. Major, my parents try to buy me a few books for my birthday and christmas that I can use for my future classroom. So I was just looking for some ideas. Not planning on spending a lot of money, just want to collect a few books here and there so I don't have to try and purchase a lot at one time later on.

Just looking for suggestions about books that can be applied for multiple grades. As we all know not every child in a classroom is at the same reading level so we must include lower and higher level books anyways...

Thanks for all of your input! :)

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2009

I will also say to wait.
    I have an early ed endorsement adn I teach 5th grade.

I have 5 TOTES full of books that are currently useless to me!

If it is a great deal (as in $1), buy it! If not, hold out!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2009

And, if you're determined to buy, wait for Scholastic's Dollar Days sale after Christmas. (That's what it's called folks, right??)

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2009

I do use picture books with my 5th graders, but it has to have several qualities.

For example, we used picture books to make readers theater plays out of (they did it in groups). But not any picture book would work. It had to be something that could be told with quite a bit of dialogue.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2009

I use a lot of picture books with my grade 7 and 8 students. I choose ones with rich language, examples of grammar and punctuation concepts we are discussing, humour, and interesting illustrations that we can use to jump off of for an art lesson. For older students, I love van Allsburg's books.

20. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

How can I take advantage of this? Does Scholastic only take orders from classrooms? I have a cooperating teacher, but will only be there for the next two weeks. I would love to order a few books.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

Check their site; there's a section for parents. Or email them and ask how it works.

And also after Christmas, Barnes and Noble runs a big sale; I always stock up for my own kids.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

I always browse the sale tables of books that crop up everywhere. There really aren't, for me, any rules about what is "good" or not; if it catches my eye and I can think of a way to use it, it's valuable to me.

23. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Nov 15, 2009

Scholastic has Book Fair Warehouse sales all over the country. Check out their site and search the teacher section for "Book Fair Warehouse Sale." It's open to the public and books are often at least 50% off. They usually occur after the fall and spring school book fairs and some in the winter. Just an FYI- the spring and fall ones are the best, the others are sometimes slim pickings.

24. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Nov 15, 2009

Thank you :)

25. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Nov 17, 2009

I agree about waiting. When I was in college my one Reading professor did the book orders and I occassionally orders book lots from there. However, through my last 3 years of teaching and even through Interning, I have had parents who donated books, as well as bought them for me as gifts. When you do start buying books, ebay is a good source, and yard sales as well. If your lucky like my school, they gave each teacher money for book fair, as well as money to spend in the classroom, so hold off as long as you can.