Books that go with songs...

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Jul 16, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2006

Not looking for just books on tape here please read on...

My kids are Early Childhood Special Ed or "At Risk" they love singing and I have found a few books that are also songs that they LOVE. Looking to expand my titles with this ability.

I cannot tell you how many times a day I heard a request for Brown Bear, Brown Bear with the CD by Greg and Steve (from playing favorites). I had two books at one point and two kids would go at a time and everyone would watch. Most of them were making somewhat of a text to picture connection which I loved. I however was a bit sick of listening to it OVER AND OVER AND OVER (though NONE of them were!). So if anyone knows of any others that would be great!

I searched for Mary Wore a Red Dress to no Avail. Also Greg and Steve's "Going on A Bear Hunt is not the same as the book :(! We do have the wheels on the bus but I am not sure they follow the same format.

Thanks!

3. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Raffi-Baby Beluga

4. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

Scholastic book clubs often have song books with either tapes or CDs
    I have gotten over 25 different titles
    * Miss Mary Mack
    * Micheal Finagain
    * LIttle Bunny Foo Foo
    *Down by the bay
    * Down by the station
    * GOing to the Zoo

They are nice and fairly inexpensive. IF you do book orders with your class you may be able to get them free with your bonus points. If you don't do book order with your students you can still get them.

5. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Have you tired traditional rhymes.Sorry that I can't remember artists or titles of CDs. I use to work with children with special needs and they love them.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 18, 2006

I like the picture to text connection that comes with the book/song together thats why I am looking for more ideas on these---

thanks for the help so far :)

7. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Text Connection

I hope that I am understanding you correctly.
    "We All Go Togerther is the book and a CD comes with the book.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

I use these character ed books with the CD with my preschool special ed kids.

The CD sings it, narrates it then just has the music to sing it yourself.

9. mstracy

mstracy Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I read somewhere...oh gee, I wish I could remember who posted it...The Learning Station has a new cd that is literacy based. It has songs for Head to Toe and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, I think.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

I can't for the life of me remember who makes them, but I've seen books/CD's for "5 little monkeys jumping on the bed" and "5 little monkeys swinging in the tree." The boosk are really cute and the CD's have great sound effects!

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 18, 2006

Does anyone know where I can find the "Chica Chica Boom Boom" sound track? I subbed for a class once and the teacher had a CD to go along with the story and the kids loved it!

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 18, 2006

Lakeshore has one:
    http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/IW...on_Id=285&Product_Id=8606&RememberCatalogId=0

I got a book+cassette for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom from a Scholastic book order. In fact, I used my bonus points to get a huge collection of books and cassettes from Scholastic to use in my listening center. Many of them have the story on one side and a song on the other, which the kids love! I just checked amazon, and they have the book+cassette version here. I'm not sure if the cassette version is the same thing as the CD that Lakeshore carries.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

I don't have them, but there are some FANTASTIC CD's that go with some Dr. Seuss books... my personal favorite is Dr. Seuss's ABC. The Hop on Pop one is pretty good, too. They have sound effects and music along with the story. :) I wonder if you can get them on ebay?

You might also check the library... I know mine (in the suburbs) had a whole rack of books with CD's or cassettes. I would guess yours would, too. :)

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 18, 2006

I have a few: The Ants Go Marching comes with the CD and There Were Ten in a Bed. I bought both at my local bookstore. My kids love them.

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 19, 2006

The Chicago Public Libray is a bit rough around the edges in the selection....

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

I'm not familiar with the CPL selection... you might check out some suburban libraries, then. ;)

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

These were just listed in the new PARENTS magazine...

Dream Songs, Night Songs: from Mali to Louisiana

Miles the Crocodile Plays the Colors of Jazz

Lullabies Under the Moon

They may be more naptime related and baby-ish... but there's a few more for you.

Lori