Books or suggestions first year teacher??

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Anne Marie, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

Hello! I am currently looking for a job; first year. I was told to buy the book The First Day of School by Harry Wong. I purchased that book yesterday. Does anyone know of any books that would be especially helpful, or have any SUGGESTIONS? I am nervous and I like to be prepared, but from what I heard, I easily could be hired two days before school starts!! :eek:
    My certification is in Elementary Education K-6. Thank you bunches!!!

3. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I love The First Day of School by Harry Wong. I am a first year teacher too. I was just hired this week to teach 2nd grade. I would love to buy some more books too. I hope you get some good responses. If I think of any I will let you know. Good luck in your job search. I was afraid of not being hired until school started too. Just keep applying and you will find something.

Alyssa

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 16, 2005

Petunia

Good Morning, I am sending you a private message. Go to the top of the page and click on the flashing light.

5. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

That Harry Wong book is awesome. My state provides it to all new teachers at the mentor/mentee training.

6. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

"The First Days of School" is great! I also like "Teaching with Love and Logic".

7. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 17, 2005

Thank you guys for the tips! Please, feel free to post any web sites that have been helpful to you, or just anything else you feel would be helpful! Blessings to you all,
    Anne Marie :angel:

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

9. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

Thank you Upsadaisy for the helpful link to that post! That woman is amazing! :angel: ha ha That was very kind of her to post all of those educational links. I printed all of them off and look forward to exploring them and/or holding onto them for future reference. Have a great day! :)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2005

You are very welcome. It will take you all summer to go through them, LOL!

11. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

REALLY!!!!!! LOL :D

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 20, 2005

I like Enter Teaching! by Mary Kitagawa (from Heinemann Publishing).

13. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jun 23, 2005

Reading with Meaning

14. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 24, 2005

I like Fred Jones, Tools for Teaching. You can also go on the EducationWorld website and see exerpts of his book there.

15. maryvilgrl

maryvilgrl Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Someone recommended The New Teacher's Complete Sourcebook (Grades K-4) by Bonnie P. Murray to me. I read it last year and will re-read it this summer since I am still looking for a job! This book is by Scholastic and I found it at my local teacher supply store!

16. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 24, 2005

Book

I use the book The First Six Weeks of School. You can order from the Northeast Foundation at responsiveclassroom.org I've been teaching 15 years and found this book a few years ago and have used it ever since. It has a schedule that you can adapt, making, modeling and roleplaying class rules and procedures, logical consequences and Morning Meeting. It really helps to set the tone for the school year and the students become a community of learners.

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 24, 2005

Don't forget Jane Nelsen's Positive Discipline in the Classroom. Great helps and forms, etc. at the back of the book you can use.

Also, my absolute favorite text from teacher ed: Your First Year of Teaching and Beyond by Ellen Kronowitz. This is a book I will tab and keep in the classroom. From set-up to supplies to curriculum planning and classroom organization, this book is full of tips and samples.

18. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

Thank you for the tips! I wrote down the names and authors and will try to purchase those books this summer! Hope I get a job, though!! God Bless!

19. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 26, 2005

Does anybody know of any good books geared towards secondary education (7-12)? Thank you in advanced :)

20. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 27, 2005

I found this book at amazon.com for only 19.99 and if you spend $25 there is free shipping. I like the book too! I like how it actually gives a schedule that you can adapt.