Books on tape for listening center

Discussion in 'General Education' started by leighbball, Aug 14, 2007.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2007

I'm just curious where you purchase your books on tape for your listening center. I'm having a really hard time making my collection grow! :)

3. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Scholastic always has a set of about 4 each month. I usually just do that. :3)

4. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

I've heard, but never felt like taking it on, that some teachers ask parents to record themselves reading a book(teacher chosen) and that some parents really get into using voices and sound effects. I think it would be fun but a big undertaking.

5. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

I have gotten many from the choices Scholastic has each month. I have also had the kids make them with me in the classroom (kids making the sound effects) and parents recording the books on tape. In my experienc, parents have been more than happy and cooperative to help out.

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

I bought about 15 from Scholastic this summer with my points.

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

I had parents make some for me. I supplied the book, tape and bell to be rung when the page needs to be turned. THey did several and the kids enjoy them, esp. if it is a current parent "HEy, Dave, your mom is reading this story to me!"

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 15, 2007

A group of 4-H kids made us some as a service project a few years ago. They also gave us the books to go with the tapes.

9. Cece57

Cece57 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

check local tag sales and/or library book sales

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 15, 2007

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 15, 2007

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 15, 2007

This year, I think I am going to have my class work on fluency by recording books on tape for the preschool classrooms at my school. Perhaps there is a teacher who would like to do that for you in your school. I think I will let the preschool teachers or the students pick out the books, and my students will practice it for fluency many, many times before recording... I am really excited about this!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2007

That's a good idea! I think I have an old tape recorder around here somewhere that I can use. And I can always ask for donations of cassette tapes. I'm having some trouble trying to find decent books on tape for older kids, so I may have to wait a bit until school starts again for scholastic. Although the warehouse is having a big sale next week...might have to go check it out now!! :D

14. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

Leigh:
    I teach 2nd grade and I had my daughter record tapes of my read aloud books for me to save money. In my listening center, I'm going to have 4 cassette recorders and books on tape that I made from the books that I had that weren't chapter books.

15. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

question- I'm beginning to build up my library/listening center collections. Since I'm starting from scratch, are CDs the way to go for the future? One of my CTs said tapes are a lot more resilient/easy to use, while another mentor recommended CDs. Any opinions?

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 16, 2007

Well, if you can inheret an old listening center, it will be tape. I have a combination of both but mostly tapes. The good things about CD's they won't be eating up like tapes can in the players. You can burn spare CD's easier than making a copy of a tape.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

I totally agree with you, SpecialPreskoo...except I can't get $5 cd players for the kids to use like I can get $5 walkmen from Walmart for the tapes. :) Someone should market special cd players just for teachers that are that cheap. :up: And they should be indestructible too! :up: :up:

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

I have a CD player, but my computer at school won't burn CD's so I can't have the kids make the CDs... I am pretty sure most of the listening centers at my school are tapes.

I am thinking about asking for an ipod for my classroom... but don't think I will get it! It would be cool to have listening centers with ipods!