Books on friendship/bullying

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 26, 2008

The 5th grade class (we have 4) as a whole really struggles with bullying and friendship problems. They "badger" my guidance counsellor with notes in her box saying they need to talk to her IMMEDIATELY. She told me she's never seen a class so incapable of dealing with their own problems (she didn't mean it in a bad way or anything.) It also affects my teaching, since it seems every day there's a problem between a clique.

My AP and guidance counsellor have been doing their best, and my GC comes in every few weeks to do a lesson. I'd like to help out a bit but I don't know how. Are there any good picture books for 5th that talk about bullying and friendship? There must be something....

Thanks!!

3. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Nov 26, 2008

My roommate's school (as well as my hometown) are using the book "Don't Laugh at Me" and a program that goes along with it. I don't know how well it works, but with 2 schools choosing it perhaps there's something to it?

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 26, 2008

5. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 26, 2008

Our counselor uses this book too. She read it to my 4th grade class b/c they are just crazy. They are always picking on kids in their class and starting drama.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 28, 2008

The English Roses by Madonna is pretty good about bullying in the form of gossiping. It would be perfect for your girls. If you are looking for chapter books, two good ones are Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade and There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom. The first deals with a new girl who is overweight and steals because her mom is very limiting of her diet and also rather mean and snide. The second one is about a boy who is a nasty bully and a new kid who tries to become friends with him but doesn't know how. Again, there is a bit of a family situation and a reputation he feels he must live up to.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2008

The movie How To Eat Fried Worms is excellent! My son and I really enjoyed it. It deals with bullying and standing up for your friends. :thumb:

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Nov 29, 2008

The book "Hey, Little Ant" is great. Have you tried the Bucket Filler program. Great for getting students to notice good things in others.

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 29, 2008

What is the Bucket Filler?

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 29, 2008

It is put out by the Gallop organization, but basically it it this. If a person feel confident and good about themselves, they have a full pucket. If a person is feel bad, their bucket level is lower. People with low bucket levels try to fill their buckets by dipping out of others' (ie, making others feel bad) but it doesn't ever really work, at least not for long. The only way to make our buckets fuller is by putting drops into other people's buckets and by making them feel good we build positive relations with others and our bucket fills too.

11. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Nov 29, 2008

12. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Nov 29, 2008

Not so much a picture book but the book 4th Grade Rats deals with bullying and friendship. Very funny and the kids will love it.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 30, 2008

I definitely want to do Bucket Fillers next year -- actually, maybe I can start it right after Christmas break! I don't have any bulliten board space, though, I'm going to have to get creative.

Thanks for all the great advice and links. I ordered the "Don't Laugh at Me" program to look at (it's free!), and I cut and paste all those great books from SpecialPreSkoo into a Word doc to share with my team.

14. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Nov 30, 2008

Bucket Fillers

Pisces Fish...I do my bucket fillers this way...I read them the book and did all of the discussion, but I purchased a large bucket (sand toy) from the Dollar Tree. I decorated it and placed it on the shelf with a supply of bucket filler slips. As the students fill out the slips they put them in the bucket. At first, I went through and made sure everyone had at least one, and everyone had at least 3 or more. We also discussed that some weeks there may not be any and other weeks many. Sometime on Friday we pass out the slips. Normally, each student gets at least one slip, sometimes none, and sometimes 5 or more. My students have embraced this!:D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 30, 2008

I just printed out the whole "Don't Laugh at Me" teacher's guide and it looks great. The only funny thing is that at one time they suggest playing "Puff the Magic Dragon". I am pretty sure that song is about drugs right? Might pass on that one:)

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

I don't think it was every really about drugs, but society has made it into a drug song. Very sad. It is one of my childhood favorites.

17. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 1, 2008

I love the song too. It makes me a little teary everytime I hear it. It is sad that I think my students (at least some of them) will think of drugs when they hear it however.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

I don't know if any of my kids have ever heard of it. If they have heard the song, so you think drugs will come to their minds? That was very much a 70's hippie thing that just isn't nearly as much a part of general societal culture now.

19. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Dec 2, 2008

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 2, 2008

Read them The Hundred Dresses. They should get the message. There are also programs the entire school can implement - check with your local WISH to see what they have that you can borrow.

Our school has gone on an all out campaign of zero tolerance for bullying. It is consistent throughout the school so the kids hear the same thing every day of every year.

21. hawkeyeteacher

hawkeyeteacher New Member

Dec 2, 2008

Is this the book by Judy Blank (sp?)? Do you know what the program that goes with it is. I have read this book and thought about using it, but wasn't sure if the content was too much.

22. hawkeyeteacher

hawkeyeteacher New Member

Dec 2, 2008

Where did you get the teacher's guide?

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 2, 2008

The Hundred Dresses is by Eleanor Estes. I think it is appropriate for grades 3/4 and up. I just recently re-read it and it is so touching. It teaches the effects of bullying on the victim, the bully, and those who stand by. Also teaches how bullying can be so subtle. It is pretty piercing, but in my opinion, kids today need to hear and feel things very bluntly - they are kind of numbed by all they see and hear through tv, movies, and games.