books/ideas for when a child is very ill.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Brandi, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ms.Brandi

Ms.Brandi Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

Hi. So this week one of our friends in our class was diagnosed with leukemia. It's been a heartbreaking week. These kids are 4 years old, about to enter vpk. Today we talked to the class. We told them that there friend isn't going to be at school for a while. That he is sick and is going to stay at the hospital for a while so that the doctors can help him get better. And we talked about how we will pray for him and love him even while he isn't here. Families at school are also collecting toys for him to have at the hospital. And we are making him a blanket with all the kids handprints.

These kids have been together since they were one. We are a small school. And the kids seem to have a lot of questions. I wondered if anyone had any good, age appropriate book suggestions that might help the kids process this. We are not telling the kids it's leukemia or cancer. It's a lot for them to take in, plus the parents aren't ready for everyone to know all the details. Just Asked that we all pray for him. Anyway...I think I'm rambling. It's been an emotional week. So I'm open to any book suggestions. Or other ideas for the kids. Thanks guys.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 29, 2016

It's not really about having a friend in the hospital per se, but one that might help with being compassionate and caring toward sick friends is "A Sick Day for Amos McGee." It's beautifully illustrated and so sweet (Amos is the animal caretaker at the zoo and one day the animals all notice he doesn't show up, so they go to his house and take care of him while he's sick). That's the main one that comes to mind -- since the parents don't want full details shared just yet it might be better to focus on how the kids can still be good friends and show they care for him while he's gone.