books for third grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stef527, Aug 16, 2005.

1. stef527

stef527 Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

I was wondering if anyone could suggest books for third grade, chapter books for independent reading and story books for read alouds? I have some books but im not sure if they are the appropriate reading level for third grade. Is there a way to determine this from the copyright page or back of the book? I don't know if they will work and I need to build my classroom library asap!!!!! Help please!

3. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

Hi I taught 3rd grade last year. On most books if you look at the back cover of the book it might say 4.1 or 3.5, etc. The four means fourth grade reading level and the three means third grade reading level and so on. Some books do not have these on the back. (This number is usually towards the bottom of the book.)
    As for favorite books in 3rd grade: Ramona Series, Boxcar Children Series, Little House on the Prairie Series, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sarah Plain and Tall, Fudge Series, Horrible Harry Series, and the Magic Treehouse Series.
    Good Luck

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2005

I did my student teaching in third grade, and we used Charlie and the Chocolate factory as well as Matilda for read alouds. Because both of these books have movies also, we would spend a day or two watching the movie after the book was done as a reward for good behavior, and then we did a venn-diagram as a whole class on the differences. Like DaisyGirl said, a lot of students like the Boxcar Children and the Magic Treehouse series to read independently. If you start the year off by reading one of the books, the some students will continue to read themselves. Good luck! :)

5. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

I was in Title two years ago and the third grade teacher did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, My Side of the Mountain, How to Eat Fried Worms, Howliday Inn and Pippi Longstocking. The kids seemed to especially like My Side of the Mountain and Pippi Longstocking.

6. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Aug 17, 2005

The James Howe books and Roald Dahl series are great for read alouds because you can ham it up with voices for the characters. My third graders read Little House on the Prairie independently, and I read the rest of that series aloud. I also read most of Chris Van Allsburg's books. The Stranger is one of my favorites to read in the fall.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Popper's Penguins in also a great one and it is hysterical! The kids love it. I also plan on reading Frindle by Andrew Clements.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2005

Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, The Littles, The Elevator Family, Secret Garden.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2005

Don't forget Harry Potter and Charlie Bone for your advanced readers.

10. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

All of the above books are great for 3rd graders. Don't forget to include a nice variety of genres.

For mysteries: A to Z, Cam Jansen, Jigsaw Jones, Nate the Great, Encyclopedia Brown, Boxcar Children

A great read aloud for the beginning of the year is Ramona Quimby, Age 8. She is starting 3rd grade at a new school. Very cute!

Here are some of my students' favorites:
    Lunch Money - poems
    Goosebury Park - read aloud about friendship
    The Wizard of Oz - folk tale
    All the Money in the World - read aloud
    The If You Lived Series - non-fiction

That's all I can think of right now!

11. stef527

stef527 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

these are sooooo great, thankyou. that is such a big help!