Books for centers for big kids

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WaterfallLady, Aug 28, 2008.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2008

I teach special education reading and my kids are reading at about a 5-6 grade level, except for a few who are lower. They range in age from 13-17. All of them are very low in writing and they all have major gaps in some levels but they are really different areas! So, to help these kids, I want to have centers.

To make it harder, I have one computer. I have one student that needs to do a specific reading program every day, and another one that has a very severe fine motor impairment that needs to learn how to type. We are in a very small room and I have one table and some floor space.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find center activities for reading for kids who are a bit above the usual center age. Thanks.

3. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 28, 2008

There is a book for centers for grades 3-5 or 6. I used it years ago when I taught 3rd and 3/4 class. I've looked through several catalogs and can't find the title. I did purchase it at a teaching store (Lakeshore.) The same company has a center book for primary. Crystal Springs Books has "Practice With Purpose" by Debbie Diller for grades 3-6. Hope this helps.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2008

Thanks. Something for grades 3-5 would be perfect because I want to use the centers for what they are weak on but I don't want to overwhelm them. I am going to look into Practice with a Purpose. I am excited to hear more ideas.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

Look at Remedia Publications. They have a website... lot of high interest-low vocab stuff. You might find something with them. If I were going to be at school tomorrow, I'd ask the HS teacher what she uses in her centers. They may be HS grades but they are 2-4 grade readers.