Books for a classroom library...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mstnteacherlady, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

I graduated in December and ended up taking over a 5th grade teaching position (in February) for the remainder of the year. This past week, I signed my contract to be the teacher for the 5th grade class starting in the fall. The teacher who was in the classroom before me is moving to a new school, so she's taking EVERYTHING with her! Can I get a few ideas on how to get some books to organize a classroom library? I have looked on half.com and scholastic's website and am looking into getting some new books. I also thought about going to a smaller used bookstore in town to find some books. Does anyone have any other ideas?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2007

I have gotten most at thrift stores. I go crazy when they are 5/$1. Usually, though, they are 25 or 50 cents.

4. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

There are many threads on this topic that you may want to search for and check out. I started building my classroom library last summer and I'm still going this summer. I got really lucky though because a few weeks ago a retiring teacher just gave me almost her whole library, so definitely spread the word that you are a new teacher in need of resources. I didn't even know the teacher who was retiring, but another teacher knew her and gave her my name and she let me go shopping in her classroom. Fun! I spend a lot of time looking for books at thrift stores. Some of them have tag sales on certain days or other deals so get to know your local thrift stores (salvation army, goodwill, savers). Right now is a great time to shop because people are cleaning out their houses, moving, or retiring. I have found great books at the stores the last few weeks. At first I would buy anything since my classroom had no books, but I've learned to be a little more picky. Good luck!

5. TNTeach5

TNTeach5 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I go to the local Goodwill and other thrift stores. You can find (you have to search) good books for your bookshelf. I taught 8th grade American History for 9 years and then transferred to 5th grade Social Studies and had to build a brand new library. So I've been there! Also, once school starts and you send out your first scholatic book order, you can use your points to buy books for your classroom. They also have alot of 95 cent books as well.

Congrats on your first classroom!

6. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jun 21, 2007

You might also want to check out garage sales. A lot of time people are getting rid of their children's books and will give you great prices for them!

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 21, 2007

---Stop at every garage sale you see.
    ---Small town thrift shops are great.
    ---Scholastic Book orders and earn free books.
    ---Your first letter home to parents tell them you are building a classroom library and if they have any books that aren't using, you would love to have them to put in the classroom library so students will have books to read. Put the families name donate by on the inside cover.
    ---Put your name on the back cover of every book, games and etc you buy.
    ---level the books as you get them.
    ---Go to your local library, sometimes they will give you books that they don't want for a variety of reasons.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 21, 2007

Garage sales and library book sales are my favorite places to shop!

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

Check out e-bay. You can buy lots of books for low prices. See some of the ones I found below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-of-26-NEWBE...904QQihZ006QQcategoryZ279QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-of-13-Bever...840QQihZ009QQcategoryZ279QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-25-KIDS-...627QQihZ013QQcategoryZ279QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought almost 80% of my books on e-bay. When it was all said and done (I have over 1,100 books now) I paid only about 30 cents per book. Almost all of them were in fantastic condition, they are all wonderful books (popular titles, etc) and my kids love the fact that I have so many.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2007

I never see those good deals on ebay. They always seem to come out to $1 a book in lots, especially because of shipping.

11. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jun 22, 2007

I'm in the same position as you. The teacher leaving my new classroom took everything-the books, the shelves, the art supplies, the teacher chair, book bins, it goes on. After she left I just told the administrator that I needed to make a bigger order because the classroom was bare. They let me. It is a private school, but I have found if you dont ask for the supplies or money you dont get it...and when you do ask, sometimes you are surprised.