Books About Trees (Two-Part Question)

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by curious, Aug 5, 2007.

1. curious

curious Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Hi, I'm a COE student in need of help. I'm in the process of creating a 10-day unit plan on trees. I've found a few good books (and some not-so-good books). I'd like to find a few more that are on a 2nd grader's level. By chance, does anyone here know of a good factual book (or two) about trees that reads like a story?

Also, I found a cute book called "Leaves! Leaves! Leaves!" by Nancy Wallace. It's about a mama bear and her son going on nature walks to explore leaf changes during each of the four seasons. The book mentions chlorophyll when describing the process of photosynthesis (which is not mentioned). Chlorophyll is sounded out by the son as 'klor-o-fil' and mama bear explains it as "...a chemical that's in the leaves in spring and in summer." Does this terminology fit into a second grader's reading level?

TIA

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I don't think the terminology fits most second graders' reading levels but I think it is important for students to be exposed to terminology. Our science kits give lots of vocab students may not readily read but with the introduction of words, explanation of definitions & explorations with discussions, students begin gaining understanding of the concepts.

I have a reading section in my class library regarding trees, leaves, seeds, etc. Sorry, I am not near my class or I'd check for titles you could use. I did a quick google, you might try finding/ordering: From Little Acorns: A First Look at the Life Cycle of Trees by Sam Goodwin. It's synopsis sounded like it might work for you. Good luck!

4. curious

curious Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Thanks for responding. I was thinking along those lines with the terminology. I find so many leveled books for 2nd graders that contain words more suitable for older kids. So it's a matter of teaching the definitions and concepts of the book prior to reading.

Thank you for the book idea; I'll do a library search for it.

5. curious

curious Companion

Aug 6, 2007

For anyone who's interested, I found a webpage that contains a lengthy list of book titles and short summaries about trees. I don't know how many of them are appropriate for 2nd grade, but they sound interesting.

Also, there's a charming book I found called "Fletcher and the Falling Leaves" by Julia Rawlinson. It's about a fox trying so hard to keep the leaves falling from his beloved tree.

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

The Secret Life of Trees-second grade level

The Great Boabab Tree-for primary or intermediate

7. curious

curious Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations, Patti2. I appreciate them!