Bookcase woes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 10, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

My new classroom has only 1 tall bookcase. My old classroom had 1 tall bookcase and 4 short bookcases, which I used for my classroom library. All 4 cases were full of books, and I could actually use a 5th.

I have 2 big problems here:
    1-I have to buy 5 bookcases out-of-pocket.
    2-They have to be short, so I am having a difficult time finding what I need (they have to fit under the chalkboard trays).

I have searched online, in hardware stores, in thrift shops, freecycle-everywhere! I cannot find what I need. My dad can build just about anything, so I am going over to his house today, hoping he can make some for me. But, it sounds like a lot of work to make, sand, and paint 5 bookshelves, and my dad doesn't have a lot of free time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? :(

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

You could make your own by laying pieces of wood over plastic stacking crates. If your dad is willing to build, though, that would be great.

The cheap, laminated bookshelves you can get anywhere are really not meant for books. I mean, that's all I ever had in my rooms, but they don't last well.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2011

I feel your pain. I am moving to a new school and we have been told we can't bring in any outside furniture.

My problem - I have around 2000 books in bins that need a home to live in and I have shelves that could be used that are relatively new (2 years old) that I bought when I moved into my previous school 2 years ago (am moving this year because it's only 1 mile from my house).

I was at target the other day and found some really nice (black) book shelves (2 shelf) that looked about the size that you were looking for. They were $12.00 each.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

Now THAT is silly! I can't believe you can't bring your own furniture in. Wow.

Right after I posted this, my dad called. He said there is an old bookcase at his work that is 3 feet high and 8 feet long. They were going to cut it up for scrap wood, and he asked if he could have it. His boss wasn't too excited about the idea, but he told him to ask the next boss up. My dad thinks he can get it, especially if he mentions that it would be donated to a school. He said that building 5 bookcases shouldn't be problem, otherwise.

So, I guess my bookcase woes are solved. :thumb:

But maybe keep the creative ideas coming, just in case? Or for other people? Thanks!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

I've always heard gutters make great book holders. But you have to attach them to the wall somehow.

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

Are you allowed to attach to the wall? If so, ready made closet shelving or unfinished board then paint or finish the way you want them. A few years ago we put a shelf up over the full length of a low bulletin board; specifically for books & items to be pulled as needed. Worked great!

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

I went to habitat for humanity and found a bookcase.

or perhaps using milkcrates... but that is not as aesthically pleasing to the eye.

9. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Walmart has short bookcases but they are like $20 or so, maybe you could buy a couple to start and add as you go? I had one bookcase last year and was an organizational mess! I finally convinced my principal that I need 2, he put in orders for everyone to have 2. It is hard to find bookcases that will work in the classroom that do not cost a fortune, I looked most of last year, maybe I am just to picky :)

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

I'm not sure if you saw these on my blog last week or not, but these pics are from my school.[​IMG][/IMG]

These are group areas, but you could put library books in and on them in baskets. The first set was made using wood and crates. The second were purchased at AC Moore. They always have 40% off coupons and teacher discounts. By standing them on their side you could put books on top.

11. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 14, 2011

One of my colleagues used large bricks and sheets of wood on top. She then had her books in tubs. It was really cool looking!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

Garage sales!!!!

13. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

I bought a few CD holders from Big Lots a few years ago (about 4 ft tall w/adjustable shelves) - they look like skinny book shelves. They're deep enough to hold 5x8 sized books without taking up a lot of space and they were a lot cheaper than bookshelves.

14. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

I do know a teacher that has so many books with little space to store and she took the larger tupperware size storage bins and sperates her books according to genere. As seasons change or topics and units, she grabs that bin, sets those books out and takes up the others. She then stores the bins on top of the shelves at the back of the classroom (if you have those)