Book to study for Praxis II

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by JennaLove2Teach, Jun 9, 2007.

1. JennaLove2Teach

JennaLove2Teach Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

It seems like there are a lot of different books out to study for the praxis II. I plan on taking it at the end of summer, does anyone have a recommendation of a good book that helped? Thanks

3. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

It depends on which specific test you are taking. I took the PLT K-6 and the Elementary subject area exam. I bought several books. The best one for me was "PRAXIS PLT Grades K-6 (REA) - The Best Teachers' Test Prep: 2nd Edition". I really liked it because it not only gave practice tests and an outline of what was on the test but it also reviewed the material. The book was a great review for both tests that I took. It is the only book that I really studied out of and I passed (I actually earned the Praxis Recognition of Excellence for my score). I was really, really stressing out about the test and I went in and felt really prepared the day of the test.

Also, taking the practice tests on the Praxis website helped me judge what areas I needed to brush up on more.

Good Luck!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

You should look at www.ets.org. I know there are some downloadable exam guides with sample questions for each test. This is all I used and I passed my Praxis II: PLT with no problem.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

To find a Tests at a Glance document for a particular test, try Googling (or using ixquick, which is a lot less nosy) for "Praxis ____ pdf" - the last four digits of the test number go in the blank.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 15, 2007

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, Amy! Just bought mine today!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

When it comes to test prep, there's remarkable variation in who gets helped by what source. A test taker who has access to a good big bookstore is often well served by examining the books before buying... preferably with the assistance of a quad latte, or something very like one.

8. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

No problem...I hope it helps you! I would have sent you mine since I no longer need it but I can't find it because we've moved since I took the test.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2007

TG: are you psychic? I printed out the title, etc. from Amy's post and took it with me to Barnes and Noble. I stopped at their coffee shop for a sugar-free vanilla latte (I'm diabetic) and made my way to the study guides, where I found about 3 versions of study guides for the PLT portion of the Praxis. From what I saw, the one the Amy suggested was the best fit for me!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

Not psychic, no: just... familiar.

11. murph1616

murph1616 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I bought the books that ETS publishes. Someone told me they are the best one to purchase since ETS is the company that puts out the PRAXIS exams.

Good Luck!
    Murph

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2007

Then I hope the ETS books work for you.

Are you generally a fairly strong test taker?

13. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I have to agree about the ETS books. I purchased one for the Praxis exam and I found the material covered in the book to match the content of the test. The only issue is that the book only explains what will be on the test and you must use outside resources to prepare for the exam.

14. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I bought the other book just for that reason. My school had purchased the ETS books for us to use and I had looked through them so I was confident when I bought the other book that it had the same material. Plus, it even had summaries of all the information in the book. Granted, if you wanted more than a summary than you would have to look elsewhere but the summaries worked fine for me.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2007

The trick then is to look for supplementary materials that will engage you and get you thinking about the material and playing with the principles and concepts behind it - and, for most tests, there are many, many resources that qualify, though they'll tend to vary from individual to individual.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 22, 2007

I found the Kaplan Press books VERY helpful. I used them for the PPST and 3 different Praxis IIs. I passed all 4 exams on the first shot. You can find them at Borders. I also used the ETS books, but I honestly found them not very helpful.

17. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I went to my school's praxis prep seminar and the intructor literally had me scared to death of this test. I bought the ETS study guide. Tried to study the way the seminar recommended (prepare a detailed outline on every possible topic), but it was so not the way I am used to. Instead I took the practice test in the book and timed myself--a huge help. When I compared my responses to the books', it really helped me see what was being looked for.

A friend who had recently taken the exam told me to just put myself into the situations given and ask, "what would I do in this situation?". That was really the best advice of all.

I finished the exam with about 15 minutes to spare.

If you are taking the PLT for adolescent/young adult--remember your adolescent psychology!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

I'm sorry you had that experience with the Praxis prep, beccmo. There really and truly is no one right way to study for a test, and I hope you'll carry that awareness forward into your teaching.