Book Talks

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MsTeacher98, Aug 18, 2007.

1. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Do 4th Graders do Book Talks? I've seen them done in middle school and it seems easily adapted to 4th grade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically its just a book report with a visual aid and some character/plot mapping, right?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

Yes 4th graders can do book talks! I taught my group how to do them last year, and they were a big success! The way we did book talks, was not really a "book report," it was more of an advertisement. They found a way to capture the audience's attention, told their favorite point, and tried to give a very short summary, all while trying to make somebody else want to read the book (kind of like the little blurbs about books on Reading Rainbow.)

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 18, 2007

That's exactly how I would explain it, except to add that the student should be careful to not give away the ending and it shouldn't last more than a few minutes (or less).

5. BeachBum

BeachBum Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

We are required to do book talks to begin our reader's workshop. I do them for the first month or so. By then, my students can completely take over that job for me! I agree about the advertisement part, and ours are 5 minutes at the most!

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

I do book talks with my kids and teach them how to do them as well. Basically, you just "talk up" the book. Give some interesting details that would make someone want to read it without giving it away. Sometimes you read the blurb on the back or a page from inside. They only last a couple of minutes.