Book Take-Home Activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by WowTeach, Jul 11, 2006.

1. WowTeach

WowTeach Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

First, I'm new here...and totally hooked! So many great ideas!! I have a question for you...
    Do you have a special way for students to take home books from your library to read at home? Any creative ideas? This is third grade so it can't be too primary. I want it to be seen as something of a privilege too....a motivation to read.
    Our Title I teacher sends books home in an envelope and requires a parent sig. for "credit". I was hoping to do something more FUN on a rotation type schedule. From the looks of things in the past, many students are recording the same few (primary) books they have at home over and over on their reading logs...I know, the public library and school library are available...but there's something special about the teacher's books, isn't there?

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

I actually print out a little library card and laminate it for each student which they keep attached to the inside of their classroom folders. The student needs to fill out a card telling the name of the book and the title, and the date they are borrowing it. I keep the cards posted on a small board next to my desk and remind the students if the "due date" is coming close. I have never had a book not returned to date.

4. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I do this in my classroom. I have a pocket chart near the class library. I have a basket with check out slips. I tried to put the library pockets in each book, was it was too big of a job. What the kids do is write the title and author of the book, the date and their name. In the beginning they need to have me sign it. They place it in the pocket chart under their assigned number. And they bring it back when they want, I didnt assign a due date. However they can only check one book out at a time. I havent really had a problem. THen I assign kids to be classroom librarians to help manage

When I did my student teaching, the teacher had a pocket chart and filled it up with a book in each pocket. THey were all books at the class' grade level. Then the kids took them home nightly and when they brought them back, they put them back in the pocket chart. She rotated them daily. You could do something like this but maybe weekly since you are in third grade and the books have more to them.

Hope this helps!

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

I have ordered the following product and plan to use it this year for this purpose... it looks pretty cool, and I like the fact that there is a place for the cards and it's posted...

http://www.callowayhouse.com/proddetail.asp?order=&sku='55871'&sgrade=-1&egrade=12&search=library&selection=search&letter=&selectcat=&skip=0&begcnt=1

6. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

What do you guys do if kids don't bring your books back? I can't really afford to not get books back, but I want let kids use the books to read at home and share with their familes. I will be teaching at a Title I school and parents are not involved at all...that's what I am told anyway!

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

Many times if the students know they can't take out another book until the first is returned is motivating enough for those who want to read your books! But, you will lose some books, that's why it's best to get books in your classroom library that are not ones you could not part with and not too expensive. Shop flea markets and garage sales and goodwill stores/thrift stores.

8. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Before I begin letting kids check out books, I send home a note to parents letting them know that I will let the children check out books from my own personal collection however if they go missing, there is a $5 fee. I make the parents sign and return the form. I also have them check a box and state whether or not they want their child to participate in the exchange. I did have a few parents who said they didnt want their children to take books home. I ended up letting them take the books home, but I said if they lost a book, that would be the end of their privilege.

9. WowTeach

WowTeach Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Pizza Reading??

Thanks for the suggestions. Your checkout systems sound similar to the one I have set for the classroom. I have pockets/cards in all of my books. It has taken several years and parent volunteers to help to get that done. I ran out of room for my checkout poster, so I'm down to a binder. Each student has a file folder "page" (names on tabs) with a pocket on it. They put the card from their book in their pocket while it's checked out.
    I was thinking about doing a different take home program. Maybe sending a book home inside a pizza box (??) with several activities (that would work w/ any book) to choose from to complete with their family...some simple supplies included..maybe construction paper, glue, tape, etc...possibly a week to complete. I could have several "boxes" going on a staggered schedule and one student shares each day??
    Ok...what do you think? I need help with a name and maybe some other/better ideas to go with this. Maybe the local pizza places would donate the boxes and some coupons for pizza to go with it??

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2006

I think the pizza box idea sounds really fun! It may be too primary for your kids, but I made "homework bags" with canvas bags from Wal-Mart, decorated them with fabric paint and iron on patches. For my kids I actually sent a cheap walkman with the story taped on it with the book and then an activity for them to retell the story,etc. They were pretty responsible, occassionally I would get the player back without a tape or missing a book, but I just really stressed to the kids and the parents what kind of time and expense went into making them.