Book suggestions

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MsKay, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

What is the best book you have read a loud to your 4th graders? Also do you only read chapter books or picture books too?

I am looking for something kind of funny and entertaining. I am thinking of doing read a loud after lunch, like a quiet time. What do you think?
    Thanks

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I read chapter books and picture books aloud to my students. One of my very favorites to read is Bunnicula by James Howe. I have so much fun reading it that I think that even if my kids hated the book (which they absolutely do not) they would enjoy it just because I love it so much! I ususally read it in October.

I also like to read Patricia Polacco and Chris Van Allsburg books to my students.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

I read picture books and chapter books. We always have a chapter book in the works, and I mainly use picture books for writing lessons, Social Studies information, etc. It is one of our favorite times of the day!

I love Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - Shiloh is a great series, but my students really love the Cat Pack series, (The Grand Escape is the first book) and The Boys Start the War series.

Last year I read the first 2 books in the Among the Hidden series (sorry, I can't remember the author offhand), and many kids read the other books in the series on their own.

Other favorites: Sharon Creech, Kate DiCamillo, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2007

My favorite authors that I have read are Sharon Creech and Kate DiCamillo. It is recommended that the book you read aloud to your class is about two years above grade level, so Sharon Creech has worked for me. Last year, I read Walk Two Moons.

Picture books I have read are Casey at the Bat and Math Curse as well as some Patricia Polacco books.

6. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Have a look at Gordon Korman's novels. The "Island" trilogy is fabulous, as is the "Dive" trilogy. Other good titles by him are "Why Did the Underwear Cross the Road" and "No Coins, Please". He's usually my feature author every year.

For picture books, Anais Vaugelaud's "The War" is a good read for the beginning of the year; the focus is on solving problems and creating community.

7. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

Ruby Hollar is my favorite Sharon Creech book. She is fantastic!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

Hey this is my list :lol: I love Kate DiCamillo - The Tale of Despereax and The Miraculous Journey of edward Tulane are my favorites! Pictures of Hollis Woods is another favorite by Patricia Reilly Giff. Another picture book author for fourth is Pam Munoz Ryan, especially her biographies.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2007

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is AWESOME- it's actually on our Florida Sunshine State Readers list this year. :) My kids heard Because of Winn-Dixie my first year of teaching... before there was a movie.

I have a few Pam Munoz Ryan books, yet I have only read her books vaguely. I have Becoming Naomi Leon and another I forget the name of. :)

10. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I love to read picture books to my kids. I always start with First Day Jitters. My favorite books are the Pigeon series. Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

I like reading Wishes, Kisses, and Pigs to my kids. It is cute.

11. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Margaret Haddix doe sthe Among the Hidden series. I got through most of it last year and my kids were HOOKED! I'm going to read The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman to my kids this year. A movie comes out in December and I thought it'd be neat to meet up with my class and watch it.

12. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

ericamarie-
    I read the entire series by Philip Pullman this summer after seeing the previews at the movies and totally loved them!!!

13. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Oh that is awesome! I am just getting through the Golden Compass right now...it is such an amazing book I'm coming up with all sorts of activities to do with my kids as I go along.

14. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

For a list specific to California, check out (click on title) the Recommended Literature K-12 List for The State of CA:)

15. happyteacher4

happyteacher4 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

Favorite Books

I really like The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. This book looks like it will take forever, but it has tons of pictures. I am readingThe Naked Mole-Rat Letters right now to my class and they love it. I really enjoy all of the books that the other teachers have suggested,too.:woot: