Book suggestions to learn about Aspergers?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by srfjeld, Jan 26, 2010.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Jan 26, 2010

I am a first grade teacher and have a a student who may be exhibiting signs of Aspergers. I would like to read up on it but want to make sure I get a really good book... there are so many out there.

Any good suggestions?

Thank you,

Stephanie

3. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Feb 1, 2010

Hey! I flew into--and out of--Portland last week. Lovely weather there. Flying over all the boats had me wanting to be a pirate instead of a teacher . . .

OK, books. this is the first time I've suggested this one, but you might take a look at Making Sense of Children's Thinking and Behavior by Holzhauser-Peters and True. The sub-title is "A Step-by-Step Tool for Understanding Children with NLD, Asperger's, HFA, PDD-NOS, and other Neurological Differences." It might help you better-understand some of what you are seeing; it did help me understand some of my own experiences as a child.

If you can find it, you might also take a look at Martian in the Playground: Understanding the Schoolchild with Asperger's Syndrome by Sainsbury. Good book, and worth finding once you have some better-understanding of what you are seeing.

And if you post this question over in the Special Ed forum, you'll get a lot more suggestions!

4. Skyler

Skyler New Member

Feb 19, 2010

The physicians may help you to get to know about the correct or good book. There are some books which will indicate some medications also for these aspergers. The most successful treatment attracts a combination of psychotherapy, special education, behavior modification, and support for families. Some children with Aspergers Disorder will also get support from medication.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

One of the best books I have ever read was Eating an Artichoke. It is from a parents prospective and is very eye opening. It doesn't focus so much on the technicalities but really increased my empathy for families that have children with Aspergers.

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 21, 2010

I wouldn't bother with books. You need to search journal articles that have been peer reviewed for your best information. These articles will have data and facts along with graphs to show in detail what they are presenting. Books don't always give you the correct information.

7. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Feb 22, 2010

Hmm. . . . peer reviewed papers for an overview of Aspergers . . . perhaps you could make a specific recommendation? Because, in all honesty, I've not seen a decent overview of Aspergers Syndrome in the peer reviewed literature. Ever. Of course, I've only been studying the literature in that area for the past 20 years or so; I've probably missed something.

Peer-reviewed literature for the best interventions for children w/ASD? Lacking experience and general knowledge, how can you judge the efficacy of the intervention presented for the specific situation you are facing--or even if the subjects of the research are similar to those you are teaching?

Don't get me wrong--I'm not completely bashing the scientific literature. I just think it is important to at least have an idea of what your questions are before seeking answers.