Book Samples

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Jul 27, 2008.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Is it okay to photocopy from a blackline masters workbook sample (the ones the companies send you to look at their products NOT a textbook- I know better than that), if it says "photocopy permission is granted to teachers for classroom use... " -even if you don't end up buying the product?? Have you ever done this?

3. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

If the company is loaning you the book, the water is a little murky, but if they are sending you a free sample to keep, then it belongs to the school, and you may use it as a resource, even if you don't buy the product. (This is NOT legal advice...just something from my own moral compass)

4. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks, it is a sample from three years ago. The company never asked for it back.

5. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Then I would say copy away!

6. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Thank you for your help.

7. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I have also, on special occasions, copied textbooks, too. It has always been to make adaptations for special needs students. Once to enlarge the print, another to eliminate the pictures so she could focus on the text, and another to allow highlighting. I believe I was covered under copyright for reasonable educational accomodations.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

No, you usually aren't supposed to. But we all forgive you. So copy away. White-out roll tape is nice if you're nervous.

9. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Hmm... I really don't want to do something that I'm not supposed to do. I don't think I will. Thank you all for the advice. I am only saying this after also reading another thread on this site, where a person got in trouble from the company for posting Mailbox resources online for others to use for free. I realize I wouldn't be posting resources, but I am uncomfortable and maybe I should listen to my gut on this one. Thanks again for everything, I do appreciate your help!

10. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

Sophie,

You would be okay. At my school we had received samples of different curriculum (didn't purchase any of it), we called the company to see if they wanted it back-of course they didn't. They said we could do whatever we wanted with it, including the workbooks, textbooks, blackline masters, etc... We don't photocopy everything, just a few things that we felt were very good from the series.

So copy away and don't feel guilty!!! You could call it a maintanence fee for storing their stuff, if you need a reason!! ;)

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

I posted this to another thread here, but it is applicable in this thread as well. This is geared toward teachers -- just scroll down for classroom examples:

http://memory.loc.gov/learn/start/cpyrt/