Book Reports

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MissaG, Jan 7, 2006.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jan 7, 2006

I teach 5th grade...just started right before Christmas. The previous teacher did book talks with the students and I am having a hard time with them. I tried to keep up with the book talks that the kids already had scheduled, but I found that they were taking the topic from the book (wrestling, ducks, etc...) and doing more of an informative speech on that topic with no mention of the book they read or anything. The teacher left no rubric or anything for me to go by to even know what they were required to do.

So I decided that I would select a genre of the month and require all of the students to read a book within that genre. At the end of every month, their book reports will be due. I would like to offer them a variety of choices when completing these reports. I think that I will have every student fill out a general form giving information about the book, but then offer other choices for a project that will be done.

This month's genre is fantasy. They have checked out the books and are just reading them right now because I dont want them reading to complete the project. I know that several students will be finishing soon though and I would like to let them know where they are going with this. I have a few ideas for different projects, but would like to offer a list with many choices. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

3. wig

wig Devotee

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 7, 2006

I gave my kids a choice from among 14 projects. They had to complete three. I can't remember all of them, but here are a few:

1. Write a news article about an important event of the book.
    2. Write a letter to the main character who you think made a mistake. Give advice to the character - tell him or her what other choice should have been made.
    3. Make a diorama of the most important scene in the book. Describe completely the characters and their actions in the scene. Tell why it is the most important scene.
    4. Tell what happens after the problem is solved in the book. If you were the author, how would you write a different ending?
    5. Compare and contrast two characters. Refer to specific events in the story and the ways in which each character acted.
    6. Make a timeline of important events in the story. Show the rising and falling action.

At the end of the year, the last project is to create a board game based on the book. The cards for the game must include all the important events.

5. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jan 7, 2006

6. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Jan 7, 2006

I teach fifth grade too. We do a book report on a different style of book each month. We do one where the students have to read a book about a child from another culture or time period. The report involves writing a friendly letter to the main character of the story and illustrating the cover of the book for the cover of the report. At the end of the year the students do cereal box reports. For this report I allow them to pick any book they want. They take a cereal box and cover it with paper. On the front they draw a picture that includes the title and the author and they write one sentence to summarize the book. On one side they describe the main characters. On the other side they give the book a rating (poor, good, excellent) and justify their rating. On the back they write a summary of the story. The students really enjoy doing this one and are so excited to come to school and share them with their classmates. I usually put them on display in the hall on a table covered with a red and white checkered tablecloth, plastic bowls and spoons and empty milk cartons. It makes for a really cute display!

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2006

My son once did a book report and used overhead sheets to create a filmstrip about the book. He made a cardboard square to pull the filmstrip through it and presented it on the overhead. He enjoyed this much more than a traditional book report, said the other kids loved it, and he got an "A" it. I guess whatever it takes to keep the child interested, have a good time at it and learn something from it.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 7, 2006

The last book reports that my students handed in were filmstrip book reports. The one they are working on right now is biography puppets. They are reading biographies and have a short written report and also have to make a puppet to resemble the person the biography is about and the puppet needs to be holding something that symbolizes something important about that person's life.

9. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jan 7, 2006

Great ideas! Thanks everyone!

Next month I will be doing biographies...love the puppet idea!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2006

Create a board game based on the book.
    Create a crossword puzzle using clues from the book.
    Create a new book jacket.
    Create a PowerPoint book report--featuring character, setting, plot, information about the author, etc.