Book Reports

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pumpkinlivia, Jul 2, 2005.

1. pumpkinlivia

pumpkinlivia Rookie

Jul 2, 2005

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on book reports. I will be teaching 3rd grade for the first time next year. I like the idea of having the kids do book reports, but I want them to have fun doing them at the same time. I need some creative ideas. Thanks!!

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 2, 2005

Congrats on moving to third grade:) I taught 3rd grade for one year and for book reports I let each one present the book in their own way, i.e, project. They could do a traditional book report, draw a picture, make a map (if it is a "traveling book"), do a project, i.e. make a covered wagon, igloo, scene, etc. I left it pretty much open. Your creative kids will eat this up and love it! :) For my kids that were traditional book report kids, I made sure they needed to put a lot of thought and effort into their report. They also had to do a least one "project" book report during the year.
    Good Luck :)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 2, 2005

I love different kinds of book report projects, and there are so many good ideas out there. I have done the traditional diaramas (sp?) and mobiles but also like
    wanted posters - includes all the key information about the main character
    cereal boxes - use wheaties as your model, instead of an athlete on the box, the main character is on the box, and the back of the box includes their stats and information
    have the students make a number of important items from the story. These can be models of something or actual items, have them bring them in and explain why they chose each of the items
    CD cases - using an actual jewel case, create a cardboard CD which your main character would produce if they began a career in music. Put a design appropriate to the story on the CD, create the front paper flap, give the CD a title, list 5 song titles which somehow relate to the story. On the back of the front cover, write a dedication paragraph from the perspective of the main character.

5. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 2, 2005

Different and interesting book reports are good but Model the correct format over and over. We did book reports this year and I didn't do enough. Many of my children coppied straight from the book or magazine or website even though we talked about what a book reort is and isn't. Many of them tuned out. You could really tell the ones that paid attention. My list is at school so I won't see that till Tuesday at the earliest.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 2, 2005

If you haven't seen Dinah Zikes, she offers some great alternatives to regular book reports (she has a program of folded paper projects) I use a lot of her stuff. I also use the Alternative to Worksheet books. These are full of great ideas that have the kids go beyond a paper/pencil book report. The main thing to remember is don't get too caught up in the artsy part that they forget the purpose for the book report. Even with all the fun ones we do, I do, at times require them to do a regular book report because I want them to be able to really evaluate a book and get their ideas down.
    Good luck!

7. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 2, 2005

Here are a couple of great books that I have used in third grade. You can see them at Amazon.com:

Beyond Book Reports
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059076991X/atozteachstuff/

Better Than Book Reports
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0590492136/atozteachstuff/

I have also used a project board with choices posted that students can pick from for a book report. I posted folders with the directions and pictures of each project. Some of the choices were:

1. Traditional book report forms for:
    fiction
    nonfiction
    biography
    2. Write a letter to the author (included a checklists of things to include in the letter such as... what part you liked best, questions you had while reading, etc.)

3. What if this book were made into a movie? Design a poster that advertises the movie version.

4. Write a review of this book. (included an example)

5. make a mobile (including characters, setting, main problem, resolution)

6. complete a graphic organizer of main idea and details (best for nonfiction)

7. Create your own book cover. (with summary on back)

8. Complete a character kid or character map.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Let me know if you have questions and hope you have a great year in third!! :)

8. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 3, 2005

My cooperating teacher had great ideas for book reports. The students did one "special" book report each quater. My favorite were "Windows On The World" and "T-Shirt" book report. For the windows each child either designed a poster or a diorama. The key was that the item had to be either looking through the window into the book or out of the book. So to explain, one student did Stranger Next Door and his poster looked outside. He broke the board down and drew what looked like window panes and then between the panes drew a fire truck and a fire scene. Another student did Bunnicula so they did a diorama of what it would have looked like looking in the kitchen window and seeing all of the white veggies on the kitchen table. The T-Shirst involved taking a book and telling the story through pictures on the shirt - but not reproducing the cover. For example Holes was done on a white shirt and the student created what looked like a huge hole on one side in paint, glued on some pieces of gold gems, and attached some shoe strings. The shirts are great because the students have something to wear to remember the school year. They were completed the end of fourth quater. Each student must complete the project and four other book reports a quater to earn an A in reading. The other book reports can be something they create on their own, a written form, or my favorite a book talk. For these items, she had a list of elements that must be included. My favorite was the book talk, which I want to present as a commercial to my students next year. They will need to create commercials to sell the book to the other students. These will be verbal talks with a colored illustration of any type. I plan on then posting the ads for the students to reference when they need assistance in selecting the book. Another great idea is an interview. The students prepare two sets of questions/answers. Choosing to either be a reporter or a character from the book. The idea is to interview a character from the book for the commercial. They choose a partner and give the partner their prepared part, then perform the interview. The kids loved it! I had fourth grade and that is the grade that I will have next year as well. Good Luck!

9. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 3, 2005

Coffee Can Book Reports are a lot of fun. We did this with a classic, like a Newberry or Caldecott winning book. The children attach a piece of paper around the coffee can after they have drawn/colored a book jacket. Inside is a mini-glossary of at least 8 new vocab. words they have learned along with their definitions (each item in the can is worth points toward their final grade on the project). They also write a summary of the book, short, to put into the can. Finally, they design some puppets using popsicle sticks, paper, scraps of material, felt, yarn, etc., of the main chararacters, and part of their grade is a mini-puppet show they put on for their classmates, with their choice of favorite scene, etc. from the book (it does not have to be long or detailed, just so the class gets an idea of what the book was about and you get info from the student to know they actually read the book!) If the project is too detailed for some, you can pair children up to complete it.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

This is what my son's teacher did last year for the book reports. I'm borrowing from her for next year!
    The 1st book report was a book of their choice & a written report.
    The 2nd book report (non fiction) was about an animal & then they had to make a diarama, depicting where the animal lives and the
    3rd book report was on a large piece of construction paper. The book was to be a biography. On the front they put the name of the book, the author & who was doing the report. Inside front was a picture of the person during what they were famous for & then the other side was the written report.

She had them do 3 reports during the course of the year. A girl friend thirdgrader did a report a month. I'm striving for 1 a quarter.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

I used to have my middle school students "advertise" their book as if it were a movie, by writing a 'review' and making a big "movie poster" about it.

12. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 4, 2005

I've seen a bulletin board display called "Got Books?" Where they used milk cartons and glued the report to the sides of the carton, stapling the cartons to the bulletin board - pretty standard stuff on the report, title, author, picture, "review"...

13. pumpkinlivia

pumpkinlivia Rookie

Jul 4, 2005

Thanks all of you that submitted your GREAT ideas. I can't wait to incorporate them.