Book report projects?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Cyndi23, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I have a list of 100 "alternative" book reports that I want to incorporate into my lessons this year. I'd LIKE to do them as 6 week projects.

Does anyone do any type of 6 week language arts projects that you can share? How do you introduce them? Do you give them class time to work on them?

I need ideas! :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

I usually do a monthly book report and sometimes give them choices among many different types of projects. They do those completely on their own.

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

The only 6 week project I really have is the build a globe theater out of recycled items..

although one student got an A when she brought in a globe theater made out of a bundt cake.. yummy.

5. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/freshenglish/bookreportideas.html
    (just in case someone else wants a list)

I had a bunch of different ideas like those on the website above and then gave them each points (5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 depending on how much time it would take to do each project). I asked the students to do 30 points worth of projects.

I gave independent reading time to my English class at least once a week. There were certain days (once, maybe twice, a month) when I would let my students work on projects or read (they had the choice). If they do not use their time wisely, it is completely on their own. I always say that we can read or continue working on whatever unit, they seem to get the idea that time is precious when they get it.

I hope this makes sense...

6. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I do a Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack project that I give them about six weeks to work on. I give a game/game board project that they get several weeks to work on. I give them a newspaper assignment for To Kill a Mockingbird that they have several weeks to work on. I love projects!!!! I also give them an end of the year reflection project about their ninth grade year that I give them several weeks to work on.

Yes, I give them time to work on it in class. I usually have to inform them of this in advance because often they need to bring things from home. I keep supplies in my room, because often students don't have the capability of getting what they need as Freshman.

Chrissy