Book Report Projects

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachgrade5, Oct 28, 2010.

1. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Okay, I tried posting this twice but for some reason it keeps disappearing (at least I can't find it).:( These are my students' projects for a book report they were assigned. They are pretty good. If you have time, please feel free to check them out.

Here is the website: http://www.leapinginto5thgrade.com/glogbooks.htm

These projects were created by the students. So, with that being said, you will find misspelled words and other errors, but I did not want to correct any errors as this is a student project not my project. I hope you like the projects.

Thank you!

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

:):wow: Those projects are totally awesome!! Tell your kids that I am very, very, very impressed. :clap:

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Thank you! I will be sure to let the students know!

5. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Do you think your kids would mind if I showed their work to my 8th graders? Also, what kind of time span did this take?

6. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Feel free to share with your class. I gave the students a month to read the book and work on the Glogster. I took them to the computer lab for 45 minutes one day last week. I also let students come in early to work on the project and I stayed after for an hour on two nights last week. I gave time in class this week as we were only in school 3 days due to Fall Break and we didn't have spelling or vocabulary this week. It really doesn't take long to create a project, but the kids do get involved with the graphics, backgrounds, music, etc. I hope this helps!

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 29, 2010

These are 5th graders?! These are great! Now I kind of want to try this out with my kids... but after seeing how long it took them to type their name on the computer today, I don't foresee that being possible, lol.

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

Thank you! I have a very good class this year. They absolutely LOVE technology. They have already asked what their next project on Glogster is going to be. I guess I will need to come up with something else. The only complaint I have is that the computers at school still have issues and not all kids can be on Glogster at one time. It has something to do with bandwidth.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

How easy is glogster to use? I have never heard of it, but am wondering if maybe my top reading group that is very good with computers could handle it... it would only be 3-4 students, so it wouldn't be too overwhelming for me, but I would want it to be their project (not mine). Do you think some high second graders would be able to figure it out with some guidance?

10. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

I would think a high second grader could handle it. You would probably have to take time to show them how to add images and text. I had to show my students how to save images of their books. Next, I had to show them how to import the images. Once they understood that, they went to town with it. I have taught second graders how to use PowerPoint before, so I am pretty sure they could learn how to use Glogster.

Just one word of advice...once you have their accounts set up, go in and change their passwords to something they can remember easily. Glogster assigns confusing passwords.

11. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

One more thing....be sure to go to http://edu.glogster.com. If you go to just glogster.com you will be going to a different website (owned by the same people). You will want the education site.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Those are great!

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

Ok, thanks for the help! I set it up for my four students... we will see how it goes! This week is a perfect time to try it out because we only have three days of school. They will each complete a short book report WS and then transfer that info onto the site and decorate.

14. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 4, 2010

Ok, day 1 was today, and so far it's going great! I gave the girls about a 5 minute intro, and they went nuts. They played around on the computers for a while... obviously they focused a little more on the decorating aspect than the text, but I think that's ok for the first time. Tomorrow I am hoping to spend some time with them teaching them how to import a picture from the internet (instead of just using the gallery), and have them actually do some typing. But they are loving it! Thanks for the idea!

15. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

I actually did a Glogster project two weeks ago. I think it is a fantastic site and our district actually got us an account because of it. :)

16. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

I wonder if I could convince my school to get all the teachers Glogster....probably not! :)

17. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

Ok, you've just changed my life.

I HATE marking poster projects. I HATE toting them around forever to get them marked. This gives me a whole new way to do them without destroying my sanity.

18. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

I am glad that your students like it!