book recommendations, please?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Bored of Ed, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I read Wong's The First Days of School as reccommended elsewhere on this site, and much of it sounds at least less relevant (if at all) to special ed. I am a new teacher; my small class will be about 10 years old, non-readers, a few with ADHD or behavior problems. Have you read any books that may be helpful? I am especially looking for ideas for classroom management as well as techniques for teaching content areas. (I have found books about teaching reading itself, but not much on teaching other things to kids who don't read yet!)

3. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I didn't really find much benefit in Harry Wong's book either--never did see why everyone recommended it. Our school actually gives it and another book to all new teachers upon being hired, but I always though most of it seemed like common sense.

I have How to Reach and Teach Kids with ADHD and it has some useful, practical ideas that you could use with all kids. If you really want to sit and read for a while, Differentiating Instruction for Students with Learning Disabilities has a lot of different methods for teaching kids. It's not a quick read, but it does provide some nice organizers

4. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I am not a big fan of the Harry Wong book, I much prefer the Ron Clark books myself.

Another great book, not just for special ed, is "Teaching Outside the Box" by Louanne Johnson.

6. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Books about special education are certainly important but I've spent a lot of time finding children's books about handicaps. Two of my favorites are Eagle Eyes and My Pal Victor.

In Eagle Eyes, the ADD child's distraction by unimportant details helps him find his way out of the woods to get help for his dad who is injured.

My Pal Victor tells of many things "I" love to do with my Pal. It is only on the last page that we discover that Victor is in a wheel chair.

Both books are so moving and so supportive of the child's abilities rather than looking at disabilities. Eagle Eyes is on the ADD/ADHD page of my site and My Pal Victor (bi-lingual) is on the ESL page.

You might like to look at several pages.

Learning Abilities Books