Book recommendation?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lotusblossom, Jun 5, 2007.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 5, 2007

Hi there,

This question is actually not about teaching (just finished my student teaching) but about the 3rd grader I mentor.

He's going to be 9 in a few weeks and I'd like to get him a book or two.

He is a very reluctant reader, I haven't met w/ his teacher but just from casual observation I'd say he's slightly below grade level, but his issue is more just that he doesn't enjoy reading. He picks books that are too easy for him.

Can someone recommend some good "starter" chapter books? Ones with lots of pictures?

Also, a higher level picture book? He's emotionally very mature for his age, so nothing too "babyish".

I already am considering Captain Underpants and Zoom (though it has no words, just to get him into books in general).

Thank you :)

lotusblossom

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 5, 2007

I teach 2nd grade and I purchased some chapter books for my children to read. Here are some book that you might want to look at:
    My Weird School Series by Dan Gutman:
    (ex: Miss Daisy is Crazy) - he has 18 books in this series out now

A to Z Mysteries
    The Magic Treehouse
    Puppy Place

These are a few of my favorite series that I own for my classroom.

4. HawaiianPenguin

HawaiianPenguin Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

I have quite a few struggling readers and here are some of the books they like:

My students really seem to like the Captain Underpants books, also (although I think they are pretty gross). They also like the Arthur Chapter books. Dan Gutman came to my school this year and he was excellent! The students really like his books. The Horrible Harry Books are popular and the Magic Treehouse books too. Hope that helps!

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jun 6, 2007

The kids here in my school LOVE the new RL Stien series called Rotten School. It may be a little too advanced for what you want, I'm not sure. But check it out!

6. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Jun 6, 2007

Bunicula or Sideways Stories from Wayside School

7. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 6, 2007

How about a non-fiction book as well? Find out what he likes and get a book about that subject. This can be a way to get reluctant readers to read. My son didn't like to read, but he would read about bicycles or cars - things he was really interested in.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2007

You might try the Timewarp Trio books. They are by Jon S. (same guy who did Stinky Cheese Man.) Boys tend to like non-fiction more than fiction, so if he is a low reader you might think about the Rookie Read-About Science books. These could be a good jumping off point.

9. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jun 7, 2007

May I suggest reading a chapter book to him instead?

10. Preservice@USC

Preservice@USC Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I just recently read a book called "Hooway for Wodney Wat" to a third grade class, and they absolutely loved it. It was funny. But, then I might be concerned a very emotionally mature student might think it a bit silly. If you are interested, go to the public library, and look through the book there. If you like it and find it appropriate, then you can purchase it. "Zoom" is a really cool book, I think that would be fun for a mature-ish boy.

11. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

Maybe he would enjoy the jokes in the Amelia Bedelia books?