Book Projects

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by kaytea1203, Oct 27, 2014.

1. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 27, 2014

Hi, all :)

I'm a first year 8th grade ELA teacher, and I'm new to this forum, so HELLO! :) As part of the course I teach, my students pick their own books to independently read outside of the classroom. They have to read 3 books a quarter. I want to do some sort of book project... not your typical book report or book talk. Any suggestions? It needs to be done mainly outside of class because I don't have enough time in this upcoming quarter to dedicate a lot of in-class time to it. :dizzy: I also would like my students to present it (or a part, at least) to the class.

Thanks in advance!!

PS: All my students have access to MacBooks.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2014

You could do a differentiation grid (not sure what it's officially called -- think tic-tac-toe) with different projects in each square, with the requirement that students pick a different square/project each time. Just off the top of my head, you could have choices such as make a diorama, make a movie trailer, write journal entries from the perspective of the character, do a dramatic reading of a scene, write a rap/song based on the book, etc...I used to offer project options like this when I taught MS ELA and SS and always got great results!

4. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 28, 2014

kaytea1203, here's a good example of what ms. irene is talking about. I used a similar thing for my kiddos during summer school this past year and they really loved it because it gave them a little freedom. I was in a special ed classroom so it was also good for differentiation like ms. irene mentioned because I could cater to different strengths and levels.

http://tonyastreatsforteachers.blogspot.com/2012/12/im-backwith-some-reading-center-stuff.html (Click on the Reading Choice Board to get a better look.)

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2014

Heather, that is a great link with a ton of great resources! Thanks for sharing :)