Book Plug--"Refugee" by Alan Gratz

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2017

Praise for this book was blowing up my Twitter feed this past summer. I read it, loved it, and I'm sharing it with my students now. We're supplementing the read aloud with articles and pictures books by and about refugees. We've had staff and students share their family stories of being refugees. My students are identifying the similarities in the experience and the stories--whether the people were fleeing from Nazi Germany, Cuba, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Syria. I am moved by the thoughtfulness with which the students are approaching the subject, and so grateful that I have the freedom to be able to teach some difficult content.

Maryhf likes this.
  3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 6, 2017

I read it this weekend and completely agree. I’ve recommended to my school division as a “must read” for our middle and high school students. It’s a timely read in our division as we live close to a border and have recently had an influx of refugees attempting to cross, often on foot.

MrsC likes this.
  4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Sep 17, 2019

We started "One School One Book" in our middle school this year, and we chose Refugee as the book to read. Every student, teacher, and other adults in the school are receiving a hard-cover copy to keep forever! Amazing book!

MrsC likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 17, 2019

Neat! Do they read it at home or at school? Is it required? I love this idea.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Sep 18, 2019

My 6th grader had this book for summer reading. It was an interesting read.