Book Orders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 1, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2008

How long do you give the students to turn in book orders? Days, a week, weeks?
    The first time I gave 2 weeks and nothing came in after about the 3rd day. Of course, I don't ever get big orders.
    Just wondering what you all do!

3. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Sep 1, 2008

I usually give 2 weeks, since I teach in a lower income area, and I'm not sure when parents get paid. By giving them 2 weeks, I can be pretty sure that a parent will be paid sometime during that window. I would hate to have one of my kids not be able to get a book because mom/dad doesn't get paid that week.

4. lovealwayz

lovealwayz Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I give my students 1 week. I send them home in Friday Folders and ask that all orders be placed the following Friday. With the option of online ordering it makes it really convinient. I've found that if you give parents too much time they forget about the order all together!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2008

You both mentioned a side of my dilemma.
    A. I want to give enough time because some parents are paid biweekly.
    B. Too much time and they forget.

I guess there is no right or wrong answer!

6. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

giraffe, most of my [parents will ask if they need more time so I usually give it a week or maybe you could do 10 days!

But one sure fire way to get the kids excited is to read over the form before sending it home and/or pick a really funny book and show them that you got it from last months order.

7. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Same here. I like to give them two paydays to get the orders in. Around here, most people get paid on Friday, so I'll give them the book order on Monday and I'll give them two weeks. That gives them two Fridays to them turned back in. The only problem is that sometimes parents don't know they have two weeks and they think that their child's book should come in within a few days of their child bringing in their money, so if they're one of the first to bring money, they can get impatient waiting on their books. (I'm talking parents, here!) So, I started stapling a short little note to the front of the book order that says "Book Orders will be sent off on ______." Not all parents end up seeing the note, but most do and at least I can say, "I did staple a note to the b.o. about when I was sending it off....did you not get it?"

8. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Sep 1, 2008

I like the idea of the note! I'll have to try that next time! :thanks:

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

I usually give a week.