Book Order I am getting upset!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss_J, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 13, 2007

I ordered a $200 order from Scholastic and it said that the boxes were delivered to the school on Monday. The person who signed for it is not anyone I know or anyone that my secretaries who typically sign know. I called and was basically told by scholastic that I was out of luck. I don't know what to do. Now I have to refund all of the parent's money out of my own pocket :eek: and find a different gift for all of my 35 students!
    I am a little irritated at this and disappointed in Scholastic. I don't think I will be ordering from them anymore since apparently I take on the financial risk of a mess up on someone else's end. :mad:

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 13, 2007

Wow....I haven't ever had an issue like that....I had them apparantly send and deliver one back in October that i never received and all they did was send it again...free of charge!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 13, 2007

They said that they couldn't do that... I have no idea why!

5. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 13, 2007

Oh my gosh, I have never had an experience like that but I can understand how frustarated you are about that. I hope it can get worked out in your favor.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2007

So you didn't get it. . . no one you know got it. . . how do you know it was actually delivered? I don't think there's any reasonable evidence it has, is there?

(yes, maybe it has been. . . humor me for a sec)

So, you could sue in small claims court for $35 more or less, or in regular civil court for $250 (just guesses, it will vary depending where you are).

Defending this kind of a suit would cost Scholastic thousands, even if they win it. And it would be really, really bad press. That's why whoever kburen got on the phone made the sensible decision to just re-send the order. You got someone else.

For what it's worth, I'd be somewhat more disappointed in your school than Scholastic if the order was actually delivered. Whoever lost your order is the one who should take the financial hit. At the moment, all you know is that it's not you.

edit: They "couldn't do that"??? BS. They're a company, they could give you the books free if they thought it was commercially prudent. They probably even get a tax break on it.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2007

So, who signed for it? Can they give you a name?? Is it even someone who works in the building?
    Kim

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 13, 2007

Who delivered? If it was UPS they can be held responsible, as well. They should be able to prove what location it was delivered to and who siged. When I sign for anything he always asks me to spell my last name because they have to enter it in along with my signature. Good luck!!

9. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 13, 2007

They faxed the signature to me and it does not match anyone at our school. THe typed name does not match anyone either.
    I called again this evening and they told me they would ship it again and CHARGE me for it!!!! I refused.
    I am going to talk with my principal in the morning and see what he says, he is super supportive. Crossing my fingers. I really do not want to pay for something that I did not receive and explain this mess to my parents.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2007

Therefore, it was never delivered. It could be at the home of someone at UPS, or Scholastic, or in either warehouse.

Do I take it by this that you paid in advance?

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2007

call your parents and tell them to cancel thier checks...that way scholastic will not get the money??

12. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Dec 13, 2007

Something sort of like this happened to me last Christmas. I had ordered some things from American Eagle for my boyfriend, and wanted them delivered to my home. It said that it would take about a week, so I waited, and waited, and NOTHING. I was curious, so I went online to track it. The status said "DELIVERED: FRONT PORCH". Needless to say, I was freaked out- A, because I had not received it, and B because MY HOUSE DOES NOT HAVE A FRONT PORCH. It's a single family home, but there is nothing that even SLIGHTLY resembles a porch in the front, side, OR back. I was so angry- really, I went crazy. I called Fed Ex, screamed at them, and got nowhere. Apparently, they are not liable even if you don't sign. :mad: So, I called my credit card, put a hold on the payment. Then I called American Eagle, made a big fuss. The girl felt bad and was talking to her manager about resending the items, when the phone cut off. I went crazy again. When I called back, the next girl I got was not as helpful. She gave me a really hard time... but ultimately gave in, and arranged to have the things resent.
    Well, a few days later, a gentleman stopped at my house with a package under his arm, saying that it had been left on his porch a couple days ago, and was too busy to return it. Can you believe it??? The Fed Ex guy screwed up royally. (He left it at a house a couple blocks away from where I live).
    Anyway, I guess I had bothered Fed Ex enough, because a few days later a Fed Ex guy showed up, checking to make sure that the man returned the package. (They had FINALLY caught their error, and had gone back to the guy to ask him about the package).
    So, moral of this long story??? Freak out. Go crazy. Make a huge embarrassing deal. Bother Scholastic, AND the shipping company especially. If you make enough noise, you'll get what you want. How can you be responsible for something you never received??? I think that delivery trucks have GPS systems that track every movement. If they look back at the day and time the package was delivered, they can determine exactly where it was delivered (probably NOT at your school). But they're only going to do that if you make a big deal!!!
    Hope I helped!!!

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 13, 2007

I totally agree with MMRbella. Make a lot of noise. Something similar to this just happened this week to me. Definitely go after the delivery company. I believe that box NEVER made it to your school.

14. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 13, 2007

Actually, I have not sent the checks, I keep them until delivery. I'm just afraid that if I don't pay it that it will affect my credit and I'm buying a house next year.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and understanding, just hearing that I am not being a baby over this makes me feel a lot better.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2007

I'm sure you've done this already, but have them double-check the address--including the city. I once had an order delivered to another school in another part of the country (we did track it down and get it back).

16. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Dec 14, 2007

File a complaint with the delivery company and the BBB. The BBB will help to resolve the issue.

17. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 14, 2007

So here is the update...
    I spoke with my principal and he called our district office people whom deal with Scholastic all the time. The district is going to reimburse me and then deal with Scholastic themselves. I do not have the books, but at least I am not out the money!
    I can handel that:)

18. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 14, 2007

Well, at least that's somewhat of a relief, but still an aggravation not having the books.

19. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Dec 14, 2007

hmmm...Scholastic sent me on order that I never ordered, I called to send it back and they said it was all ready paid for. I checked around school and no one had ordered it so I told scholastic I wanted to send it back and they said don't worry about it! I donated it to a new teacher.

They are a funny bunch! I had one order that was late, I checked on it and they said they did not know where it was so they sent another one...I ended up with two of the same orders and when I tried to return one they said just keep it! I can't believe they have changed their ways and are now being difficult! That is just bad business!

20. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Dec 14, 2007

I am amazed that Scholastic would react this way. It does not seem worth the poor publicity for them.I would see if the principal would be willing to send them a message that your school will not be ordering from them any more,and she/he will notify other schools in your area about what happened.It appears the shipment was stolen by someone not in your school and you should not be held responsible.

21. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2007

It does seem strange...they always tend to "give" rather than take away...I have had things sent that I did not order and they always tell me to keep it!

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 14, 2007

So MissJ, now you know who has your books... it's love2teach and dolphinswim!

23. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 14, 2007

There you go, mystery solved!

I too was shocked by Scholastic's reaction to this situation. I have always had excellent experiences with them in the past just like everyone has mentioned. I do not understand what happened here.
    I feel better now that I don't have to pay for it since my district will, but I still have to find 32 christmas gifts for my students! Any ideas????

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 14, 2007

plastic forks?

a piece of looseleaf?

you could even personalize the looseleaf by writing their names on it.

Ok, I obviously suck at this...

25. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 14, 2007

:rofl:
    You crack me up!
    The personalized looseleaf may not be such a bad idea.
    I mean hay, they were excited about the 4 for $1 sunglasses I gave to wear at the reading center this week! It obviously doesn't take much to please them!

26. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 14, 2007

Yup, kinders are easy to please sometimes.

27. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 14, 2007

Scholastic sent me an extra box of 20 books that I got for my kinders. I think they're trying to bill me for them though. :p
    Anyway, I don't think I could get them sent fast enough, or I'd offer them to you! I think I'll have to send them back though, because I don't want to pay another 40 dollars for an extra box of books that I didn't want.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 15, 2007

FedEx just delivered our neighbor's (1/2 mile away) Christmas gift to our house, no signature, just left it on the front porch. We don't use our front door when we come in, so it could have been there for a couple of days. Also, our puppy chewed a big hole in it-and it was a styrofoam cooler full of Omaha Steaks! He didn't eat through to the steaks, but it is a darn good thing it is about 10 degrees outside, or those steaks wouldn't have been so good. So now we feel bad 'cause we have this present with a hole in it that we have to take to them-I think FedEx should have to take care of it!

Make a fuss.

29. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 17, 2007

So we found the order. It was delivered to another school in my district that is in the same town and like 2 miles down the road on the same road!
    What a relief!

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2007

I'm glad that everything worked out for you Miss J.

31. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 17, 2007

Me too! I would be aggrivated and feel bad to tell parents they aren't getting their order.

Glad you found it! :)

32. KLP1220

KLP1220 Rookie

Dec 17, 2007

Eek, this makes me nervous to ever deal with Scholastic but I'm glad you got your books!

33. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2007

wow! i'm about to have to call scholastic during planning because I have only received 1/2 my order!! My order last month never showed and after waiting 10 days past the expected delivery date, I called and they resent the stuff for free. I'm kind of peeved that this is happening a second time in a row. especially since only 1/2 of the order is here!

34. annafish

annafish Companion

Dec 18, 2007

I have had them make mistakes on my last 2 orders! Both times they didn't include a book. They sent the book, but it has kind of been a pain! I feel bad when the kids don't get one of their books and it may make the parents not want to order again.

35. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 18, 2007

I am surprised that you have had so much trouble with Scholastic. I have ordered probably $2000 or more this year so far (my students parents like for them to read) and they are always wonderful. On two orders they have shorted my order one book and they enclosed an extra book "to make the wait more bearable" each time. The only issue I had was the Scholastic Teacher Store website wouldn't let me delete something from my shopping cart but I called the contact number and the girl placed the order from her end (for the $1 items) and I got my box last week. Was like Christmas :)

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2007

Several years ago they sent me a set of Captain Underpants books (which I didn't order). When I contacted them about it they told me it was there mistake and just keep them (I donated them to the school library, sorry, just don't like those book!) Then I got a bill from them, they charged me for those books. It took some doing but they finally removed the charge.

37. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 18, 2007

Like I said previously, I have been working with them for over 2 years (over $10,000 in orders) and this is the first time I had a problem. They have always been great up to now. I was just really disappointed in them.
    I too have had back ordered books and they sent coupons for free books and/or a free book.
    They were just very unpleasant with this one. I have no idea why. I was nothing but nice to them when I called.
    But, whatever, I have my books now:)