Book Nook Chair Ideas....

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MrsS2009, Jun 13, 2009.

1. MrsS2009

MrsS2009 Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

I posted this in the main forum for Elem. teachers, but then I saw this 4th grade one and need ideas!!! I just received my first teaching job in the 4th grade. I will be teaching Literacy & S.S. The teacher before me had an area in her room that she called the "Book Nook." The kids loved it and she had a futon, 2 bean bags, 2 butterfly chairs, and 2 large pillows for the kids to rotate daily and have a spot in the room for independent reading. I loved that idea and would like to do the same thing, but I am having a hard time trying to decide what chairs and things to put in it. I have a pretty big classroom and the school was built last year, so I'd like to get something fairly nice. I also would like to get something reasonably priced. Any ideas for fun and good ideas for a reading area? Also, any other first year teaching advice would be greatly appreciated too! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time!!!

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 13, 2009

I have three of the camping chairs that can be folded up and but in a bag (forget if they have a specific name), a rug, and several big pillows that that the kids can sit on. The big pillows can be stacked up and put up out of the way if space is needed. The kids seemed to like it.

4. MrsS2009

MrsS2009 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

Thanks, I like the ideas!!!

5. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

Someone gave me a couch from IKEA and I bought a slipcover from there to make it clean looking. I bought a rug and I have a bean bag and pillows. For my chair I have a directors chair that I have embrodiered my name on. The kids love it.

6. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I was at Walmart this morning, and they had lounge pillows/chairs on sale for $12 a piece in fun, bright colors.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2009

I'm re-doing this area- I have four new pillows and a leather ottoman as well as my rocking chair, currently. I used to have camp chairs, and I may eventually find something else as well. The kids love to relax.

8. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I would check craigslist. You can get pretty good stuff on there for really cheap. Search under kids rooms, teens rooms, futons, papsan chairs, bean bags, etc. I think it's a great idea. I want a space like this in my room too, but I am moving to a new school that is being renovated so once I get in and see the space I will be hitting craigslist and probably walmart for sure!!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

I got two wingback chairs from Freecycle that were originally in a Starbucks-they were soooooo comfy. Freecycle is GREAT place to get anything for your classroom!