book in a bag....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by love2teach, Dec 13, 2004.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2004

anyone out there do these? fill me in...im going to start after the holidays!

3. Pam in MI

Pam in MI Rookie

Dec 13, 2004

I did this last year with my self-contained 6th graders. I called it "Book in a..." project. They could choose the container it was in and I asked them to try to find something that was connected to their book if possible. If not they could use a paper bag or box that was decorated to go along with their book. It was the best book report project we did last year. We had just finished reading Tuck Everlasting as a class so I used it for my example. I don't have the infor I gave to the kids with the requirements, but from what I can remember they had to have 5 objects that related to the story. I know I had a frog puppet and a water bottle; also a piece of fence from a toddler farm set. I used a shoe box as my container. The kids had to explain why they chose the items - how they related to the book they read. I think I also had them include a glossary of 10 words they didn't know or thought other kids might not know. That's all I can remember. Oh - some of their containers were a school bag and a basket that was made to look like a cottage. I told them they could use only one picture - the rest had to be objects.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2004

Tell me a little about book in a bag...it sounds like something we did.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2004

Pam in MI, that sounds great....my gusy are a little to young for that though! What I was looking to do, is create a book in a bag (literally!) with at home activities for the kids to do with their families. I want to encourage the home school connection and parent envolvment. I was hoping to send one book in a bag home a week (send on monday and have it returned home on friday) Is this was u were thinking of?

6. CWCA

CWCA Rookie

Dec 15, 2004

I've done something a little different. I have sent activity kits home with children, but I only let them keep them overnight because the students tend to forget to bring back the materials. I don't send the kits home on Fridays. To hold the materials, I used plastic file folder carriers that had carrying handles. I put in 3-4 books at different levels of readability, 2-3 at home activities, 1 journal page, and any other materials needed to complete the activities. Most of the kits had a black-line book for the student to keep at home. There was a class list in the kits, and each student would cross off his/her name after completing the project. When the kits were returned to school, I would take out the journal page to put into our class book. Then I would refill the consumable supplies. These are some I've done before:

Dr. Seuss Kit: There's a Wocket in my Pocket, 2 other Dr. Seuss books, journal page, crayons. Focus: rhyming words. For the journal page the students would write their own nonsense rhyme of what was in their pocket and illustrate it.

Graphing Kit: We can make Graphs by Rozanne Lanczak Williams, Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert, From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons, Let's Find Out About Ice Cream by Mary Ebeltoft Reid, student book Favorite Flavors about favorite flavors of ice cream, fruit math counters, laminated graph, graph paper, 4 wipe-off markers, pencils & crayons. Activity 1: Sort the fruit manipulatives. Count how many apples you have. Color in one space for each apple on the laminated graph. Use the wipe-off markers on the laminated page. (Wipe-off markers have black tape on the ends.) Repeat, counting and graphing each of the remaining fruits. When your graph is finished, answer the questions on the question sheet for Activity 1. You may keep your completed question sheet. Questions for Activity 1: how many pieces of fruit did you have total? Which fruit had the most pieces? Which fruit had the fewest pieces? Were there any ties? If yes, which fruits? Were there more apples or bananas? How many more oranges were there than strawberries? How many grapes and bananas did you have? Activity 2: Ask the people in your family what their favorite fruit is--apple, banana, orange strawberry, or grapes. Take one of the black & white graphs. Color in one square for each of the people in your family. Use the crayons to color in this graph. You may keep your completed graph. When your graph is finished, answer the questions for Activity 2. Questions for Activity 2: How many people did you ask? Which fruit was chosen the most? Which fruit was chosen the least? Were there any ties? If yes, which fruits? Which fruit was your favorite?

Travel Journal: Variety of books that take place in different locations, atlases (The International Space Station by Franklyn Branley, Famous Explorers by Garnet Jackson, The Magic School Bus Explores the World of Animals by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen American Grub: Eats for Kids From All 50 States by Lynn Kuntz and Jan Fleming are some I have used. I also like to use animal atlases.), passport for the student to write the title of the book(s) read and the place where the story happens, _______'s Travel Journal reproducible book from Frank Schaeffer Publications (the cover was cut in the shape of a suitcase), journal page, folder shaped like a suitcase and covered with pictures from different places in the world. For the journal page, the students finished three sentence starters: I took a trip on a ___, I went to _____, I saw _____. They illustrated their stories. The trip could be a real place they went or an imaginary journey. When finished the journal page went into the folder shaped like a suitcase. These stories were shared in class the next day.

I've done a rock kit that had books about rocks & minerals, fossils, and paleontologists. There was a collection of rocks with identification cards and a magnifying glass. There was an activity for testing the hardness of rocks, magnetic properties, rock color, and buoyancy.

I've sent home our class big books for the students to read with their families.

I've done the work for a kit on If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Numeroff, but I haven't assembled it yet.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2004

Love2Teach...
    We sent home books in Zip-lock baggies and had them read a leveled book (This was part of our Title 1 program.) We did this 4 days a week, had them go home and practice with a parent/older sibling/adult. We had a note that the person they practiced with sign it. If it was not signed they had to bring it home again. We took running records on these books.

8. Pam in MI

Pam in MI Rookie

Dec 19, 2004

when I taught first grade for a half year we did a poetry book for POoetry Mo. in April. I put a composition book and a little stuffed chick we called "Sping Chick". Each night someone would take it home and they and theri family would write a poem (or a copied version if it was really long). The poem could be one written already or made up by the child and family. We kept passing it along until everyone got to write in it and then back around so you could read the ones that came after you. I also read the poem aloud each day to the kids. Also, the child was to illustrate the poem that night. The chick really had no significance, but everyone loved taking him/her home!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2004

I have heard comments from parents about these take home bags with things for the family to do with the child. They don't like them. I heard them complaining that they are so dead tired when they get home and they only have time for supper, bath, and bed. Rememeber now,this is what I heard the parents talking about...it's not what I said! You know how some parents can be these days.

11. Laini

Laini Rookie

Dec 30, 2004

When I was working in another field, before teaching, I was one of those parents, so I can understand. I wouldn't get home until 6:00-6:30, and by the time we ate dinner, took a bath, my daughter was so tired from the school day and afterschool program that she was often too cranky to do this, and I was frustrated as well. Now, that I am in the education field, I know how important those activities, but more importantly, I have the time.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2004

well, I know that parents are busy but that does not mean that they should not read to or with their children. So many parents think that the hours they are in school are enough..and they are not! SO I was thinking of doing one bag a week, it goes home on Monday, and is due back the next monday...this way they have plenty of time to read and do the activity. I dont like to give homework on weekends but at least they have the option if they NEED to use that time. I will also allow that reading to be on their reading log for that night....it is reading afterall! SO really they can get two birds with one stone!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2004

14. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Dec 30, 2004

Book In a Bag ideas

I do something similar to this in my class, but I use KinderReaders (are ya surprised? :rolleyes: ) I have cook blue velcro packs that my school purchased from Teacher Resource Center. On Monday, my kids each take home a "blue packet". The "blue packet" contains a KR on each child's level that they can work in and keep, a reading log for the parent to initial that the child read the book each night, a page outlining the "book work" for each night (to find and circle focus words or letters of the weeks), a handwriting page, a word/letter recognition page, and an activity page with a choice of 3 or 4 extension activities for them to choose from. The completed packet comes back on Friday and each child gets to share his/her extension activity with the class.

I realize that this sounds like a TON of work, and it is...but I will tell you that the kids LOVE it! The best part is that I use the exact same format each week, so after about a month, the kids were doing most of the work on their own! The only thing the parent has to do is check for word/letter recognition and help with the project. The kids can read the book to a stuffed animal and sign off on the reading themselves, if a parent is not available.

Using this homework system has not only strengthened the home/school connection, but it has truly increased my students' abilities and my kids are reading faster and stronger than ever.

If anyone is interested in more information on any of this, just let me know.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2004

I personally feel that it is important to spend time each evening reading to children. I always spent about a half hour reading to my boys after they were tucked in bed. Maybe this is a way to force some of the parents into doing this with their child. I am thinking that they would be watching t.v. or some other activity and that they should give this up for the sake of their child.

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 30, 2004

I still remember having my mom read to me when I was a child. And I remember reading to her. She had a great trick which I tell my parents as well. When I would read to her and I got stuck on a word she would take a pencil and draw lines to break apart the word ex: c/a/t. When the story was finished I had to go back and reread the words I had trouble with. When I would go read the same story again some other time the word was already broken up for me.

17. Laini

Laini Rookie

Dec 31, 2004

AMK- I like that trick.. I will use it for my son as well.. and students too. It's so important for parents to take the time to read with their children, and for children to see their parents read for pleasure as well. My son is 7, and although he reads well, he doesn't pick up a book just for fun. The other night, we went to the bookstore and he used a giftcard to buy a boxed set of books(6 in all). He read 3 in one night, and was so proud of himself. I was proud of him too!

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2004

Growing up, I don't remember being read to so much, so I bet there are parents who simply just don't realize what they need to do.
    No offense, but you girls generalize sometimes.

I liked to read to my now 18 year old when he was small, and now my four year old and I wear the library out!!

19. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

I Am Starting A Literacy Bag After The Holidays.first, I Am Going To Send Out A Letter To All The Parents, Telling Them About The Backpack. I Will Explain The Using For It, To Encourage Parent Involvement Also To Increase Literacy.

In This Bag There Will Be Index Card File With Activities(instructions And Materials Needed). Most Materials Will Be Provided. This Bag Will More Than Likely Be Sent Home On Fridays, So There Is No Excuse About Being Too Tired To Get Involved. They Will Have All Weekend.
    In This Bag:
    Recipes
    Math Activities
    Mostly Reading Activities
    Art
    Writing(parent Dictation)

Only Problem I May Have Is That Parents Will Not Return The Bags Promptly. Most Of My Parents Don't Participate In Anything At The School. So, I'm Trying This. Wish Me Luck!

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 2, 2005

I bought some file folder games and made some file folder games and now I am start sending them home with the kids to reinforce skils we have been learning. Hope it works out!

21. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

thanks for your well wishes.